Ultimate Prank

"It fits?" Joe checked, looking at the ring on Dianne's finger.

"Definitely. This is gorgeous by the way, are you sure it's just costume jewellery?" Dianne asked, bringing her hand closer to her face to look at the ring Joe had just given to her.

"100%, wouldn't trust you with anything more. Ready to get driving, Zoe and Alfie have set off?" Joe checked, holding his hand out for her, front door now open.

"I am, come on then Hubby," she said and in no time they were in Joe's new car driving to meet Zoe and Alfie for lunch at a National Trust site.

"I can't believe we're doing this, it's so mean," Dianne said, eyes stuck on the ring.

"It's just Zoe and Alfie, do you want to practice the story again, make sure you've got it down?"

"You were acting really weird all day. I thought you were going to prank me so I was on guard. We went to a studio because you wanted to dance again. We ended up doing our Viennese waltz from back in the day. It finished you pulled away, gave this long speech and then proposed but you dropped the ring twice." Dianne recounted, getting into it. If Joe proposed to her like that she'd for sure sob.

Joe took her hand and kissed it, "I love you."

"I love you too!" Dianne returned, as though second nature. Really it sort of was.

~~~

Zoe pulled her brother's girlfriend into a bone breaking hug. It had been a while since they had seen each other and they were long overdue a catch up.

"How are you, how've you been?" She asked Dianne, pulling away to look at her.

"Amazing, really good, your brother spoils me as always," Dianne beamed, looking over at Joe who was catching up with Alfie.

Zoe smiled, "of course!" She looked over at Alfie and Joe, "shall we go and get some food?"

Joe came over and took Dianne's hand, her left, and swung it as they walked slightly behind Zoe and Alfie. "She hasn't noticed yet?" He asked quietly.

"Nope, I'm calling the Café, keep the camera out," Dianne said, looking down at their intertwined hands, enjoying seeing her's with a ring on it. She still couldn't believe the quality of the ring for it just being cheap costume jewellery, but she trusted that Joe hadn't spent an extortionate amount on a real ruby ring.

"I'm gonna timelapse our lunch," Joe announced, once they had ordered and sat down in the relatively empty cafe.

"Okay?" Alfie said confused why Joe had just announced that.

"So how've you both been?"

"Busy, for once its him not me away. Feels like I've not seen him, he's been here there and everywhere. Up in Liverpool the other day weren't you?" Dianne said, putting their hands on the table, waiting for Zoe to notice.

"Yeah, I had a couple of th-"

"When did you propose then?" Alfie busted out, nodding to their hands.

"Last week," Joe said calmly smiling widely.

"I mean I was joking bu-" Alfie was interrupted by Zoe, reaching over and grabbing Dianne's hand.

"It's your left! You're getting married? You're engaged?" She said, ecstatic, pulling Dianne into a massive hug. Alfie had stood and was hugging Joe as well.

"Yeah," Dianne smiled her face heating up. Zoe assumed it was embarrassment that was caused it but really it was Dianne worrying about telling the story.