Young-uns

She's the one. There was no doubt about it, I would make her mine. Even though she had the most bushy hair I have ever seen, and large front teeth, she was pretty. I wonder what her name was, I needed to find out.

I found her sitting alone in a cart reading. I pretended to be surprised, "Hello there." She looked up at me with amber eyes.

"Hello! I'm Hermione Granger. And you are?"

"Malfoy, Draco Malfoy to be exact."

"You have a unique name Draco." She stuck out her hand. I shook it.

"What are you reading Hermione?"

"Hogwarts a History. I'm quite excited for Hogwarts truth be told."

"As am I, what house do you want to be sorted into? I want to be a Slytherin."

"Oooo I don't know. Ravenclaw would be nice, they are known for their smarts."

I nodded, as long as she didnt get Gryffindor. We talked for the rest of the train ride, at one point a toad hopped into the compartment and Hermione screamed, I promptly chased  the road out. A kid ran past, chasing it.

A large, Hairy man was beckoning the first years over, I rolled my eyes, planning to follow the other students.

"Let's go Draco!" Hermione pulled me by my arm to the large man.

"All first years on the boats! Four to a boat!" Hermione nodded eagerly, absorbing every word the man was saying.

"We are going with some my friends Hermione." This time I dragged Hermione off to two of my 'friends', Crabbe and Gole. We all got into the boat. Half way across the lake Hermione gasped.

"Isn't it beautiful?" I knew she was talking about the view but I looked at her and agreed. She was beautiful. Sadly we didnt sit by each other during the sorting. The great hall was full of students. I held my head higher, showing everyone that I shouldn't be messed with
And I wasn't scared.

"Granger, Hermione." My attention spiked, the sorting hat sat on her head for a while,  muttering here and there. Finally it shouted, "GRYFFINDOR!" My world shattered. Maybe I could be sorted into Gryffindor!  I was desperate. Finally my name was called.

"Malfoy, Draco!" The hat didn't even touch my head before it yelled, "SLYTHERIN!" I was disappointed, I couldn't be friends with Hermione. I smiled, lifting my head upwards. I had made my father proud.

I looked over at Hermione, she gave me a sad smile which I returned.

MONTHS LATER

I started writing poems in my free time. I kept them locked away from everyone else. Also Granger and I haven't spoke since our first day here. This girl, Pansy was doting on me. It was quite annoying truth be told, she also ruined my only chance to talk to Granger. I found Granger walking alone in the halls, I began speeding up, planning to talk to her but bloody Pansy came up and started doting on me. I was angry and devastated,  I wanted to smack her. I didnt, of course.

I pushed her off and stormed off to class. She had to go and ruin  my life.

MONTHS BEFORE THE END OF SCHOOL

Today father told me to call muggle-born mudbloods. I only knew one, Granger. I couldnt risk disobeying my father. When I passed her in the hall with Potter and Weasley around I did it. I called her a mudblood.

I sneered as I began walking towards the trio. "Mudblood." I said, directing my sneer at Granger. She cast her eyes down and bit back tears. I felt horrible right after.

That night, I wrote an apology letter I didn't send it of course, I couldn't! Every time I called her that horrid word I wrote a letter and kept it to myself. Each letter was different, I could think of millions of ways to apologize to her. As school slowly came to a close I was fighting with myself.

I didnt know if I should send the letters or not. She would probably think they are fake. I dropped the letter topic and worked on my school work, focused on living up to my father's expectations.

HERMIONE

I felt sad that my first ever year at Hogwarts was ending. I was the last girl in the dorm, still packing. I finally finished packing and was about to leave when a large stack of letters appeared on my bed. On the top it read, "Open when alone." I looked around. I was alone. I opened the first letter and read through it. It was a sorry letter from Malfoy. He apologized for calling me a mudblood. I rolled my eyes and opened the next letter. It was another sorry letter. I rolled my eyes but read through it anyways. It was different.

I read each letter. Each letter was a sorry from Malfoy but they all were written differently. "Hermione! It's time to go!" I sniffed and wiped my eyes. I was crying.

"Okay!" I grabbed all the letters and carefully put them away before I hurried downstairs. "It's sad to leave Hogwarts." I said as Ron, Harry and I walked down the empty halls.

" Kind of. I'm glad to have no homework." I rolled my eyes at Ron's comment.

As we waited for the train, I spotted Malfoy. I quickly pulled out a piece   of paper and sprawled a quick note on it. The note read,  I do not appreciate the name calling, no one would-but thank you for apologizing. I have a question about the last letter though.....If you can, owl me." I sent the letter over to him. It landed in his pocket,  Malfoy didn't even notice. He'll find it eventually, I'm sure of it.

Halfway through the train ride a origami swan gracefully floated into the room and onto my lap. Before Ron or Harry could question what it was, I grabbed it an opened it.

I will make sure that we continue talking via owl over the summer. Thank you for forgiving me. Let me answer your very predictable question. I am forced to call you such unpleasantries. I have no say what I can do, I have to listen to my father. Anyways, glad to not ruin everything.

~D.M

I smiled, maybe all was not lost.