Chapter Thirty-Five: Why Should I Listen?

Ferraine gave me a side-eyed look, pretending to analyze the scene before him when he already knew what happened, though he'd never been present during the fight that occurred here.

     "Go."

     "I have nothing to say to Emeran. It's as simple as that." I said his name as if it was foreign to me.

     "That's an order, Raven. Go see to your brother."

     "He's not my brother," I scowled. "He's wounded me to a point where even my -"

     "It's not for you," he whisper-shouted, his temper a liquid that slowly bubbled out of its container, "it's for Emeran."

     "Why do anything for that coward?" I glared.

     "Let's just say we want someone to break him. Who's better than you at doing that?"

     "I'm flattered, but I refuse the offer."

     "Oh, but it's not an offer. It's an order, once again, and you're going to follow it."

     "Why should  I?" I growled, my eyes shooting daggers into his.

     "Because I'm your superior. And it's your consequence for... ah, should we put it as... 'stepping out of line'?"

     Okay, I'll admit that Ferraine got me there. But how else would we have captured Demerious?

     How else would he have remained in our hands?

     "No one is my superior." I referenced my magic, allowing the tiniest shred - that had actually regenerated, surprisingly - to light up the inner purple ring within my eyes.

     Thomas Ferraine took a step back, shocked. 

     Recollecting himself, he murmured a short "Go, now, or else you're kicked off the DAA."

     With that  tidbit of leverage, I started to make my way to the door.

     I took one look back, and Ferraine grinned his "I'm better than you" grin as I walked out the door.

     I'll wound that pretty face of his when I get the chance.

     And, believe me, that chance is coming soon.

     Watch your back, Ferraine.

* * * * * * *

     "What do you want?"

     "What a pleasant surprise. To see your pretty face, I mean," Emeran grinned at the wall, his wolf's grin armed with those perfect white teeth.

     I walked over to Emeran, my hand gathering a decent portion of his long, black hair into a fist.

     I made him look at me.

     "I asked  what you wanted."

     "I didn't call for you," he hissed in my face, his elongated fangs bared, "so why are you here?"

     I realized that there's really no use blaming him for me coming here. 

     The one question - the one that I  happened to prefer - is...

     How shall I break Emeran?

     After all, there are so many ways.