Chapter One: Underneath the Moon

I wasn't alone that night.

     The sky was pitch-black in the city. Wispy clouds of silver fog hung low, camping out underneath the bright full-moon and city skyline.

     So maybe it wasn't completely dark outside. 

     In the alleyways - where I was traveling - it was famous for becoming unusually dark.

     The faint, smoky, choking stench of cigarettes drifted freely through the humid night air. An owl hooted in the distance.

    I snatched up my cowl, pressing the thick black fabric to my face, despite how faint the scent was.

     A sliver of white moonlight stretched out lazily from a crack in the wall. I stepped through it and crossed into the next alley.

     I was prepared for a fight; two sheathed daggers hung below my belt, their hilts exposed.

     What I heard next jolted me out of my thoughts.

     A hiss, or a snarl of some sort, that included lips being pulled back from teeth, echoed throughout this new alleyway.

     "Who's there?" I asked, my hands fumbling for my weaponry. I stopped in my tracks, crushing a discarded soda can. "Hello?"

     A small laugh echoed back to me in reply.

     Then, I heard muffled cries; I was unsure whether they were meant to bait me, or if they were a plea for help.

     I walked over to where the sounds were coming from in order to find out.