Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Scowl Beneath the Surface

"I don't need help, thanks."

     BUT DON'T YOU WANT TO KNOW WHERE DEMERIOUS'S SOUL LIES?

     "It doesn't lay anywhere! It's up and about," I scowled.

     THE TRUTH IS CLOSER THAN YOU THINK, RAVEN. NOW, SINCE YOU DON'T NEED ME "AT ALL", I'LL GO.

     "Bye," I said, shrugging. "Sorry, but I'm not one to beg, especially when I've got more serious matters to deal with. Besides, humanity doesn't need you back on the streets. Time's ticking, so I -"

     Briiiiiiiing! Briiiiiiiiing!

     Huh. That was weird. My landline never rings.

     I picked up my landline phone, and I put it to my ear.

     "Hello? Raven? We've caught Demerious..." Dianne's panicked voice rang out.

     "Okay, where are you?"

     "C-come to... Garlynius... S-Square..."

     Her voice sounded weak, distant.

     "Dianne?" I swallowed, panic seizing my heart.

     "H-help," she choked out.

     The line went dead.

* * * * * * * 

     When I arrived, I saw Dianne slumped in an alleyway, her back hunched over in an uncomfortable position. Red metal gleamed at her side.

     I ran over, slamming my car door.

     "DIANNE!?" I yelled, running across the street, dodging a blue Sedan as it sped past me, honking.

     I kneeled down beside her, picking up the metal piece beside her.

     Horrified, I realized that it was a knife, painted with fresh blood.

     Dianne's black jacket was ripped off. It lay next to her in a heap.

     Her white shirt, though, was torn, and it was soaked through with blood.

     Dianne's side was the target.

     I was about to pick up the second bit of metal, but it was a pair of handcuffs.

     She had handcuffed herself to a little boy, his leather shirt covered in dirt, and his khaki pants covered in blood.

     His eyes had a malicious glint in them that scared me.

     * * * * * * *

     "What happened, Dianne. You have to tell me."

     "I... I don't know," she answered, her eyes filled with tears. "I swear, I don't remember." 

     I dropped my hands to my sides loudly, clenching them into fists, angst a spark in my dark, unfocused eyes.

     "Raven. Raven."

     A cold hand gripped my wrist and pulled me back into reality.

     We were in an interrogation room, and I needed to play the part of the interrogator.

     We had caught who we needed to... but I was still unsettled.