Chapter Eight: Visiting Aldergore Again

"ALDERGORE!" I yelled as I raced up the stairway and into his office.

     I must've startled him. He jolted straight up as if he had just been shocked with an electrical wire. 

     "What are you doing here?" he snarled softly.

     "I came to tell you that I'm letting you off the hook."

     "How nice of you. And I see that you've payed a little visit to my website, haven't you?"

     "How nice of you that you stole all that information right off the DAA's archives," I retorted.

     "Maybe so, but I merely borrowed it," Aldergore shrugged.

     "Oh yeah? Then why's the page blank?"

     Suddenly, Aldergore's face melts into a facial expression of deep concern, realizing that he could be arrested not only for digging in the DAA's archives without permission, but also because he had just destroyed some of their info.

     "What?" he exclaimed softly. "I thought that I'd -!"

     "You'd what?"  I interrupted.

     "I - I made sure that all the information would stay there, too! I just did a simple 'copy and paste' move!"

     "Obviously, your computer skills are terrible, then."

     "I swear," Aldergore insisted, "that although it looks that way, I did not destroy their information about Bloodhound. I -"

     "Who did, then? Surely you're not going to complain that you've been framed."

     "Indeed I am, Raven Sharpclaw," Aldergore sighed, massaging his temples with two fingers. "I never borrowed the information without making sure that the DAA's information wouldn't be destroyed. Believe it or not, I might know who had done this terrible 'deed'."

     "Who?" I questioned.

     "Mickey Garroway."

     "He's dead!" I shook my head angrily. "You're literally making me go around in circles!"

     "Think about it, Raven. Who else would want me dead or imprisoned but him?"

     "I can name quite a few," I answered quickly. 

     Suddenly, a knife's metal sides flashed, and it was aimed for my side. I deflected it with one of my own, glaring at Aldergore. His eyes widened innocently, and they darted toward the open doorway.

     "Nice try," I muttered, "but I don't go down that easily."

     "But it seems as if your parents do," a voice behind me replied.