Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue, But Your Heart Is Black

We sat there in silence.

And I loved it.

Until a scent hit me. A familiar scent.

Damien.

I growled and turned to face Chris.

"Get on my back." and I shifted. He quickly got on and I ran for the house. Rage, along with the urge to protect Chris and everyone else at the house, surged through my veins as I flew through the woods.  I stopped as soon as I was in the kitchen. Chis hopped down and I shifted, taking his hand as I hurriedly tried to find Alpha. I soon found him.

"Get everyone inside here now."

He looked at me confused but did what I commanded when he heard my Alpha tone. Since my dad was gone, the rank immediately went to me, making me stronger, faster and my Alpha tone impossible to disobey. He called everyone in. I looked at Alpha. "Keep them here. I'll be back." He stepped forward. "Moonlight....." I shook my head and let the tone drip off my words. "Everyone stays here." They all nodded, including MIW. No one could resist an Alpha tone, not even humans. I turned to Chris and cupped his face with my hands as I stared into his alert, loving brown eyes. "I'll come back. I promise you that." He grabbed my wrist and held my hands there. "But what if-" I put a finger over his lips. "No buts. I'm coming back. I promise." I stared into his eyes as an another emotion exploded into them: concern. I stood on my tiptoes and kissed his cheek. I turned to go but was stopped as a hand grabbed my wrist and I was spun around, to have lips slam onto mine.

Chris.

I closed my eyes as we stood there, sparks exploding. I felt like I was high. He pulled away and rested his forehead against mine, breathing a little bit heavy. "That... That was to seal your promise." I nodded and gave him a quick peck before turning around. I ran outside and immediately shifted, picking up the scent easily.

Damien wanted to be found.

I growled as I ran for the scent, my wings kept close to my side and my mind searching the map programmed inside.

He would go where it meant the most to him.

Where it was special.

Where I would go as well.

The waterfall.

As I ran toward the waterfall, my mind drifted off to the place where I was going.

The waterfall was connected to this beautiful lake, right in the middle of the woods. Abby, Damien and I used to go there a lot when we were younger, before I found out Aaron was my mate. He would come with us sometimes but respected the fact that I needed to be alone with my friends. It was where I would go alone to think, where we would all go. If one of us was missing, we knew where they were. And that's where Damien was now.

I came to the edge of the woods, where the clearing started, and looked around, sniffing. I slowly stepped out of the comfort of the woods, retracting my wings. I winced as they finished and slowly walked towards the rocks, my fur bristled, my senses at their peek.

"I didn't think you would show."

I whipped around, teeth bared, as Damien stood there with his hands shoved in his pockets. I raised myself up to my full height, which was an inch shorter than Damien, who was 5'10. He stepped closer. "Should I turn around so you can shift?" I narrowed my eyes at him and growled.

He sighed and walked past me, my eyes following his every move. I shifted into my human form and cautiously followed him. He sat down on a rock while I stood a foot away from him.

"I didn't mean for them to get killed."

I glared at him, not believing a word he said. Abby didn't have a reason to lie about Damien. She was dying and he was like a brother to her. She didn't need to lie about him.

"Then why did Abby say you betrayed us?" He looked at me. "I missed your voice you know. You've been gone for a month or more." I snorted. "Answer the question, Pierce.", I said, using his last name. He sighed. "I don't know." I inched a little closer. "She didn't have a reason to lie about you! Why did she say that?" He whipped his face around and I was suddenly pinned against a rock. "I. Don't. Know. I had nothing to do with what happened back there!" I growled. He was hiding something. I could hear it in his voice and I could see it in his eyes. "Then why was he there!?" Damien growled and slammed his hand on the rock. "He was there because of me!" His eyes widened and I pushed him away from me. I was breathing heavily. "So you did betray us." He laughed and just like that, I saw a different Damien, much different than the side of him I called my brother. He looked at me with a crazed look. "Yes. Yes I betrayed you. I betrayed your father, your family, your pack. He came to me after your little thing at the pack house in Scranton, ordering me to tell him everything about the pack. You see, my mate is a human who happens to be on his territory. I can't get on there unless he allows me too. And I had to give him the information to be able to see her. He said he wouldn't hurt those I said not to. Your parents were on the list as well as Abby, her parents and my family." I looked at him. "But those were the ones he targeted himself." Damien nodded. "I didn't think for a second that he wouldn't keep his end of the bargain. He even kidnapped my mate and is holding her over my head. If I don't do what he tells me to do, he's going to kill her. That's why I didn't want you to go. If I had you, I didn't need her." My eyes went wide as I realized what he was saying. "You thought that you could have been my mate." He nodded. "I've been in love with you since we were kids. When you found out Aaron was your mate, there became a bubble in my chest that kept growing with hate for you and Aaron. I gave the information the leader needed to take him out. I didn't know you would start dying. When I didn't get the feeling that you get with mates, I thought it was because you were to grieved. It didn't stop me from trying. When you wanted to go, I didn't want you to. We were supposed to be together. We still are!"

I growled. "No! I belong with Chris!" Damien scoffed. "Him? That son of a bitch back at the pack house? No, Moonlight. You and I. We are supposed to stop the leader. We are supposed to be together forever!" He shouted. I felt my eyes turn red. "Stop! Never in a million years would I ever choose you as a mate over Chris! For you are a murderer of mates and a betrayer of packs!" Something flashed in his eyes.

"So be it."

He jumped and shifted in mid air. I dropped to the ground and rolled  away as he hit the rock where my chest would have been. I shifted quickly and snapped at him as he charged me. I grabbed his back leg and threw him away from me, giving me enough time to put my wings away. He snarled.

"We were supposed to be together!", he shrieked in my mind. Our pack really never used the mind-link unless the Alpha was speaking to you or you were speaking to an Alpha. I flinched as I heard his voice on my head, not use to it. "We will never be together Damien! You are a traitor! Murderer!" He growled. "I did what I had to do." I snorted. "No. You did what you had to do for you because you couldn't accept what fate gave you."

He roared and charged me. I easily side stepped him but his head came whirling around biting my shoulder, creating a massive wound. And he hung on. I yelped and fell, rolling on his head, trying to get him off. He let go and I immediately went for a leg. I grabbed his front right and yanked it, causing a massive cut to appear. He howled and lunged forward while I still had his leg in my mouth. I thrusted my head down, breaking his bone in the meantime, and feeling his teeth around my neck. I let go of his leg and started snapping as he tried to get a good grip. I closed my eyes and my wings popped out. It startled him and he let go. I could feel the wounds close up, except for my shoulder. It hurt and I knew he did more than break the skin. He jumped and ricocheted off a rock, coming towards me. I growled and lunged, meeting him halfway in the middle.

I stood there panting, my wings put away again. He wouldn't give up! It's been hours since I met him here and I could faintly feel the anxiety coming from Chris. I knew he was concerned but I was going to keep my promise. I looked at Damien, wincing as I felt the wounds on my neck tear even more. He had gotten a good grip on it and flung me like a ragdoll.  He had bitten me in a couple of other places but they were all healed except for my shoulder and back left leg. And somewhere inside, I was hurting. Not much but enough to realize that he did something. He wasn't in any better shape. His right front leg was useless as it was being kept together only by his tendons. His snout, left ear, and neck were bleeding. He had a rib sticking out of his side. And yet he still fought on. It was like he couldn't feel any pain. Like he had become immune to it.....

"Just stop, Damien. Don't make me hurt you more than I already have."

He looked at me and cocked his head. "Wanting to get back to your precious mate? No. I won't let you. He wants your mate. I'm here to make sure he gets him. And that he gets you." I snorted. "By banging me up? Come on. If we keep going at this one of us is going to die. And that isn't going to be me." He winced as he shifted a little. "Well you don't get to make that choice. If I can't have you, no one can. Not even the leader. If anyone is going to kill you, it's me. I was able to watch my family and Abby get killed. I know for sure I can watch you die." And he lunged at me. I tried stepping back but lost my balance as my back leg collapsed. Damien landed on me, pushing down on my neck, making the blood ooze out faster. He leaned down so his snout was touching the side of my head.

"Say goodbye to Chris. And say hello to Aaron."

My eyes widened and thrusted my good back leg up as hard as I could. I felt my leg break something and I felt liquid running down it. I looked at Damien and his eyes were wide, blood coming out of his mouth. He fell off me and onto the ground, making me roll onto my side as my leg was still stuck inside him. I pulled it out and got up, wincing at the pain. From how he was struggling to breathe and not choke on his blood, I knew I did some damage, damage that I know would not heal. I crouched down so I could see his eyes.

"I thought you would be happy to see him." I shook my head. "Aaron let me go already, Damien. He let me go so I could be with Chris. He's gone. And I'm not the wolf I was months ago." A wolfish him appeared on his face. "No, you're not." And he started coughing up blood. I got up and looked at him. "Would you rather I leave you here for a rogue to come and play with you or kill you now so you won't feel them bite you?" He looked at me. "You do what you want." I leaned down. "What you deserve is to be locked in the deepest and darkest pit of hell." And I grabbed his neck and jerked, breaking it. His eyes became glossy, his chest stopped moving and blood flowed freely out of his mouth and wounds. I placed a paw on his chest and howled, not caring about the pain.

"I don't even go see outside the ground and find the feeling that's inside me,
Forever calm and faceless love,
Please don't take this life from me.
I've got my head above water while,
Shining in disaster,
I'll rewind to the kiss goodnight so,
You're lips can kill me faster."

I shook my head and started walking for the house.

"I don't even go see outside the ground and find that shit you never told me,
Your eyes caught in the shadows of dreaming while he sleeps,
I've lost all my only answers in one last dead romantic,
Your words they feel like weapons as the cuts sting to the bone."

I looked behind me one last time to say goodbye to the brother that I once had. The brother that died months ago.

"Woah, I never said this would be easy to hold on,
But I'm not gonna let it go,
And when you cry yourself to sleep tonight,
Don't forget that it's killing me not to tear you apart."

I ran for the house, my wounds stinging but nothing I couldn't handle. I could feel myself healing as the house came closer and closer.

"The roses are red,
Violets are blue,
The petals fall like tears."

I made it to the back where the kitchen door was. I shifted and looked around, noticing the bodies were all gone. I heard the door opened and turned just as I was pulled into an embrace.

"Your pictures worth a thousand words,
So light it up and watch it burn,
(Ash to ash, Dust to dust),
Strike a match,
Incinerate,
Feel the flames upon your face."

I breathed in the scent and nuzzled my face into Chris's chest, not even caring if my wounds hurt.

"Woah, I never said this would be easy to hold on,
But I'm not gonna let it go,
And when you cry yourself to sleep tonight,
Don't forget that it's killing me not to tear you apart."

"You came back." I looked up at Chris and smiled. "I made a promise. And I keep my promises." He smiled back at me and hugged be again while I returned it, but my mind drifted to Damien.

Roses are red, violets are blue, but your heart is black.