39 ~ after

"What the heck was that?" Maya asked after the kiss.

"I - I don't know," Gabriel stuttered. "I - I don't know what happened."

Gabriel turned around trying to take in what happened. He kissed one of his best friends. Why would he do that?

Gabriel slowly turned around.

"Did - did you feel anything?" Gabriel asked.

"What?" Maya asked.

"When we kissed, did you feel anything?"

"No," Maya said. "Did you?"

"No."

"Huh?"

"Well, that's settled, I guess," Gabriel said. "I guess we didn't really like each other like that."

"Yeah, I guess," Maya said. "I think we were just attracted to each other."

"I guess so," Gabriel agreed.

"What do we do?" Maya asked. 

"Pretend that nothing happened, I guess," Gabriel shrugged. "And just try to go back to normal."

"Y - yeah, we should do that," Maya agreed.

***

"What did you guys do at the fireplace?" Riley asked.

"We realized that we don't like each other like that," Maya said. "Gabe and I are just friends."

"Are you sure?" Riley asked.

"Riley, stop," Gabriel said. "It feels like you're pushing Maya and me to be together. Maya and I are just friends. And I like you not Maya. Give it a rest, okay?"

Riley just stood there, not saying anything.

"I agree with Gabe," Maya said. "Stop forcing something that will never happen."

"I have to head back to New York," Gabriel said. "My dad doesn't want me to stay here any longer."

***

Gabriel went back to New York on his own. He knew what to do. 

Justin and Emma picked Gabriel up from the airport. 

"How's Texas?" Emma asked.

"Alright," Gabriel said.

"Justin told me about what happened," Emma said.

"What did you guys do?"

"Nothing is going to happen between Maya and me," Gabriel said. "She and I are going to just stay friends. We realized that we like each other as friends and nothing more."

"Didn't see that coming," Justin said.

"Neither did I," Emma said.

They got home and Gabriel went up to his room. He went to his desk and opened it to the last few pages of his notebook. He picked his pencil and just started to write. He hadn't realized how much time passed while he wrote.

"Hey, Gabe," he heard his father greet him.

"Hey, Dad," Gabriel said looking back at his father.

"What did you do in Texas?"

"We watched Lucas compete in some bull riding competition," Gabriel said.

"Bull riding competition?" Grant repeated. "Why would he ride a bull?"

"Apparently, he hasn't gotten over to losing to riding a sheep and he thought it would be a good idea to do it. No one in Texas forgot about him falling from a sheep."

"He fell from a sheep?" Grant asked, trying his hardest not to laugh.

"Yeah," Gabriel nodded.

"Huh, you don't hear that every day," Grant said. "Well, um, dinner is ready."

Gabriel nodded.

***

Monday came around. Gabriel spent the entire weekend with his dad and siblings. He ignored his texts from his friends. He didn't know what to tell them. He would read their texts and not respond. He refrained from saying something he might regret.

Gabriel sat at his desk in History class, writing, as usual. He had to buy a new notebook so he could continue writing. 

"Hey, Gabe," Cory Matthews greeted him as he entered.

"Hi," Gabriel said, looking up at his teacher.

"Your friends are worried about you," Cory said. "Where were you over the weekend?"

"I just hung out with my family," Gabriel said. "I just needed some time with my family."

"Then why didn't you answer all the texts and calls."

"I know, but I didn't want to say something I'll regret later."

Gabriel's friends came in and saw Gabriel in the class.

"Gabe, where were you this weekend?" Lucas asked.

"Yeah, we thought something happened to you," Caleb added.

"I was just with my family," Gabriel said.

"You didn't think to tell us?" Riley asked.

"Look, I didn't want to say something I'll regret," Gabriel said. "Now, will you back off?"

The bell range signaling the start of class.