25 ~ road trip

"How can they just do that?" Riley asked her friends when they were sitting at Topanga's. "She works her whole life to become a planet and then it's just taken away from her. Do our hopes and dreams even matter?"

"Well, in fifteen years, we're gonna find out," Lucas said, holding a buffalo nickel.

"A buffalo nickel," Farkle said. "That's what you're putting in the time capsule?"

"Yeah, my grandfather gave it to me for...." Lucas started but the sight of Maya smiling made him not want to continue. "Anyway, my grandfather gave it to me."

Maya shook her head and grinned. "No, no, no, no, no, no no, for what?" she asked. "Pappy Joe gave it to you for what?"

"Don't call him pappy Joe," Riley said.

"It actually was Pappy Joe," Lucas said.

"You knew that?" Riley asked Maya.

"Eh, it would've been anything I said," Maya said. She grinned. "Why'd he give you the nickel? Why?"

"Nothing," Lucas said. "He gave it to me for being a good little boy."

Maya shook her head again. 

"No, no, no, no, no, no, tell us," she insisted.

"I was a little kid, I went to a kiddie rodeo, and I was the only one who made it the whole eight seconds," Lucas said.

"You rode a bull?" Gabriel asked in surprise.

"It was sort of like a bull," Lucas said.

"Here comes funny," Maya said.

"What really was it?" Gabriel asked.

"I rode a sheep," Lucas said.

Riley, Maya, and Farkle all laugh. 

"It's a real thing!" Lucas said. "It's called mutton busting."

They kept laughing.

"Thanks for not laughing, Gabe," Lucas said.

That's when they all stopped laughing.

"I'm laughing in the inside," Gabriel said.

"Oh," Lucas said. "I wanted to be a rodeo star. But, I got older and gave up on it." 

Lucas placed a nickel on the time capsule.

Katy Hart, Maya's mother, walked over.

"Aww, don't ever give up on your sheep riding dreams," she said. "You go over there, and you become the best sheep rider the world has ever seen."

"Mom, what are you doing?" Maya asked.

"As long as I'm here, I've decided to give out valuable life - living advice, like Cory and Topanga," Katy said. "So, you call to come to me when you're feeling lost in this world and I'm gonna fix you right up."

"Nah, we're good," Farkle said. 

"Do not let your sheep-riding disappointment prevent you from dreaming dreams," Katy said. "As I look back at my life, the only regrets I have are the dreams I gave up on too soon."

"Wow, thank you. That's good advice," Lucas said.

"Yes, it is!" Katy said. She laughed. "Hey, nice trophy, the Farkle."

"Thanks, the Maya's mom," Farkle said. "It's my science fair lifetime achievement award."

"Forget science," Katy said, pointing at Farkle, "you dream dreams!"