Chapter 29

Jishu's Home:

Victor came back with the coffee cups and was pleased to see how eagerly Sharmila drank her coffee. He waited for her reaction but there was nothing... She kept her eyes glued to the map even as she seemed to savour every sip of it.

Why are girls so cruel? One day... when he had time, he should write a book...He shook his head and dismissed thoughts about ungrateful girls and their cruel behaviour and concentrated on more pressing issues.

"How is Anosha coping Jishu?" Victor asked in a low tone, glad that Anosha was still in shower.

"She is bad. She still thinks it was her carelessness and stupidity that caused the whole chaos. I scolded her so many times not to be stupid. I mean... not to blame herself unnecessarily, and did my best to assure her that everything will get sorted. But she is far from okay. She even wants to go to the Hospital and tell them the whole truth, but I told her that no one would believe her. I can understand why you and I were targeted, but I just cant believe that an innocent girl like her, who had nothing to do with any of this, had become their victim in their elaborate plan!" Jishu said grimly.

"Don't you think I know? ? I just cant tell you how terrible I felt when I realized how everyone around me were targeted! Nanda Sir, Anosha and now the whole agency is in a kind of lockdown and everyone looks at everyone else with suspicion ...I mean, where does this end? And before they even think of coming anywhere near my family, I am going to put an end to this, no matter what it takes, even if I have to kill that bastard or die..." Victor's eyes reddened.

"Hey hero!! Please calm down. I didn't mean it that way!.. Oy Sharmila Madam! Why don't you calm this guy down. He would never listen to me. I will go and check what Amma is up to." Jishu looked at Sharmila and pleaded with his eyes, before walking towards the kitchen.

Sharmila nodded her head and turned towards Victor who avoided her gaze as he picked up his coffee cup.

"Shall... shall we go out and get some fresh air ?" Sharmila asked tentatively.

"Yeah.. sure." Victor walked towards the Balcony and Sharmila followed him.

And they stood next to each other,  leaning on the metallic rail as they watched the traffic passing by beyond the tall wall.  The dark clouds in the sky cast a shadow over the neighbourhood and they could hear a thunder far away.

Sharmila didn't know how to start the conversation, especially with Victor in such angry mood.Victor took another sip of Coffee from his cup and she jumped at the opportunity.

"Hasn't the Coffee gone cold?"

"It's okay for me. I can drink my coffee at any time in anyway. For someone who lived frequently in rough conditions  with nothing but basic food, all these are luxuries, and I enjoy them thoroughly. " Victor replied in a clipped tone.

Sharmila felt ashamed suddenly. Why did she not compliment him when she enjoyed the coffee so much? Thanks to her uncle and their trainer at IB, she knew very well what Victor had been through in Afghanistan as part of his infiltration into IS. He travelled with those maniacs just like a local and trained with them in guerilla warfare under extreme conditions.

Time to make amends!
She  turned slightly towards him and said, "You were right, you do make good coffee."

"You don't have to be sarcastic." Victor mocked, his eyes still scanning the afternoon sky as a lightning  struck.

"No, I am telling the truth, please understand." She hastened to add but Victor cut her short."I would have taken it as a compliment if you said it after your first sip."