Chapter 34

"YOUNG CHILD AND OTHER ME!! PLEASE AWAKEN! IT'S AN EMERGENCY!!"

Pap jolted awake on his bed, letting out a sharp hiss of pain from his sore wounds and cracking bones. The child from his world known as Chara, who fell asleep right next to Pap's bed, slipped off the stool and landed on the floor face first. Blue was still passed out next to his brother with tear marks down his eyes. It looked like he had cried himself to sleep and wasn't waking up anytime soon. He was a heavy sleeper after all. Both Chara and Pap groggily sat up feeling startled from the sudden interruption of their sleep.

Papyrus gasped in shock and slapped a gloved hand over his mouth, feeling particularly guilty about forgetting what his friends conditions were at the moment.

"O-OH MY I-I'M TERRIBLY SORRY! I DID NOT MEAN TO WAKE YOU IN SUCH A WAY!"

Pap's eyes fluttered open slowly, his skeletal hand rubbing the back of his head in hopes of getting the headache to go away. Chara got up a little quicker and rubbed the sleep from their eyes as they spoke.

"It's no problem Papyrus. What's going on?"

"I-IT'S SANS....A-AND DREAM....."

Large tears began to well up in his eye sockets as he began to tremble as he spoke.

"T-THEY'RE GONE..."

Pap sat up on the bed and leaned himself against the wall, holding back a hiss from his wounds.

"Gone huh? They probably went to get more supplies or maybe search some more for survivors. I'm sure their fine."

Chara looked a little more worried and stood up from the stool to comfort the crying Papyrus.

"Its gonna be okay Papyrus, they're strong and can handle themselves. Where's Fresh? Maybe he knows where they went."

Papyrus was too busy wiping away his tears with his hands to calm down and answer. Instead, he took Charas hand and led them to the stairs where he pointed to both Fresh and Error still laying passed out on the couch. Papyrus could feel Charas hand clench in his own at the sight of the two, the reaction most likely coming from seeing Error. Their voice trembled as they spoke.

"W-When did he-"

"A COUPLE HOURS AGO...DREAM FOUND HIM AND BROUGHT HIM HERE. FRESH WASN'T TOO HAPPY ABOUT IT AND, WELL...."

Chara nodded in understanding and turned back into the bedroom. They grabbed the first aid kit that was previously used on Pap checking it to make sure there was enough bandages for the two downstairs.

"We'll be right back pap. Try to get some rest, you're still healing."

Pap looked like he wanted to object but the visible flinch from his wounds had him laying back down on the bed and closing his eyes.

"Aye aye capt'n. Call if anything."

Both Papyrus and Chara walked down the stairs silently, hoping not to wake the skeletons. Chara made their way over to the couch, bandages at hand as they knelt down next to Fresh first. Looking at both of them closer Chara could clearly see the large scrapes and bruises on both their arms and legs and face, hell if they weren't magical skeletons these injuries could've been a lot worse.

"Papyrus could you grab me a rag and a water bottle from the kitchen? I need to clean off the dirt before I can bandage anything."

Papyrus nodded without a word and made his way into the kitchen. Chara's attention went over to Error who was slumped over on the opposite side of the couch, his head thrown back with his arms hanging limp on his side. It almost looked like he was slipping off the couch. Chara didn't know how to feel with Error being under the same roof as the rest of them. Sure, they knew that it wasn't his fault for all the murders, that had Nightmares name rightfully on it. But with everything that happened with Ink....

"HERE YOU GO CHARA." 

They jumped slightly as a plastic water bottle and white rag was in front of their face, their eyes lifting to meet the eye sockets of Papyrus who was trying to smile but currently failing.

"Thanks Papyrus. How about you go upstairs and keep an eye on Pap and Blue? I can handle these two." 

He seemed hesitant, but stood up and without argument walked back up the stairs without another word to Chara.

The child sighed as they began to work on cleaning the dirt off of Fresh's arms. It was obvious how much of a mental and emotional impact this was having on all of them, but it was changing Papyrus for the worst. Papyrus, Blue and Dream were always managing to smile and find the courage and keep the positive attitudes they were gifted with to keep everyone going, but nothing lasts forever. With Dream missing and Blue slipping into a deeper sorrow, it seems that Papyrus was now next in line to fall into the sorrow. 

Chara put the now damp cloth onto the floor, smudges of dirt now staining the white material. They slowly wrapped the most bruised and scraped parts of Fresh's arm and hoped not to wake him up. A sudden thought flashed through Charas mind, making them stop in their tracks and go for the phone in their back pocket. They stood up and walked over to the kitchen area as the phone began to ring. Chara could think of only one other person who could help Papyrus, or maybe even all of them at the moment. The ringing soon stopped and a voice could be heard on the line.

"Hello?"

"Hey Frisk, it's me Chara. We could really use your help."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think this is one of the worst chapters I've written since there's not a lot of detail or really anything going on, but oh well we'll just call it a filler chapter. 

Can I get a roll call for the people who still bother to read this? I want to keep writing but I know people are getting impatient with me. 

I'll be back with another chapter!