Chapter 52 - We Go Left

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean?" Molly asked.

"If you smell like a walker, the walkers will think you're one of them. If you need to leave this spot in the morning you use these corpses." I pointed to them. "You cut them open," Molly's face shifted to one of disgust, "and you cover yourself in their blood. In the guts." She started to shake her head. "I know. But you do that and you'll be safe. Don't get any in your eyes, in your mouth or in any cut. Molly, make sure you cover that scrape on your knee. When you've done that, you need to walk slowly. Imitate them if you can, do not speak, and make no sudden movements."

"Okay." Luke nodded soon followed by a reluctant Molly.

"Good. Now go on. Get up that tree. If you think you're going to fall asleep, try and use one of your belts to tie you to a limp." I continued as a helped them both up onto the first branch. Once I was satisfied with how high they made it I gave them both a small nod of encouragement and began to make my way back, marking the trees with Daryls knife as I went to ensure I wouldn't lose the one they had climbed.

I made it back to the line of the trees with only one walker encounter and then had to shuffle around the outside until I came to the fence the tank had rammed down. There was a good 50 walkers in the front courtyard alone. The ones closest to me were walking around aimlessly while the ones closer to the top were gravitating closer to the prison buildings, drawn by the fires that were starting to die with only concrete and brick to burn.

I could make it through the courtyard, hell they were spread out enough I could probably take them all out if I moved right. But I wasn't moving right. My failed attempt to save my father had proven that. I was feeling better, but I wasn't well. The fight had been a good distraction but the adrenaline had subsided. The panic and fear and now the sun began to beat down again and even in the afternoon it was doing its toll. Molly was never sick but Luke was and he was probably feeling it as well. Luckily for Molly we were no longer contagieous but that didn't mean she couldn't catch it from one of the walkers that were around the prison and carrying the virus. It would have been better for her had she gotten sick. We at least probably had an immunity now.

I had a small medical supply in Betty along with two blankets a change of clothes for me and Daryl along with and a couple of days worth of food for two people and two 10L plastic bottles of water in the back I always kept in there. And of course a can of fuel. It was used for in case we got trapped out on a run. There was pistol in the glove box and a knife and the bare essential cooking supplies; two steel y shaped rods I'd welded together to put either side of a fire with another rod to place between the join to create a rack to cook over and one heavy duty camping pot to boil water or whatever else.

But if I could get inside I could get to the medicine. Stock up properly for us and for our people when we found them. And if I could get to mine and Daryls room I could get my machete. Get a few more blankets for the kids. Jumpers. They'd get cold easily. Clothes for them to change into and a few smaller knives that they could handle wielding.

A snap of a twig behind me snapped me out of my thoughts as I quickly spun around, knife in hand and ready to take down whatever walker was coming up behind me. But it wasn't a walker. He stood not five metres away, staring back at me with his hands raised in the air like he wasn't a threat.

"Easy, Muñeca." Martinez said carefully. "I didn't come with him. Not this time."

"Then what the hell are you doing here?" If I had a gun I would have fired. But all I had was Daryls knife. And the sniper rifle with no ammo. But the fact that he was unarmed didn't go unnoticed. But I wasn't sure I could win a hands on fight with him. He was a strong guy. Muscled, well built and taller than me although not exactly tall. Daryl had mistaken him for army once and although he wasn't he certainly held himself and fought like he could have been.