78. A Deal?

_=_

Dick froze, his head jerking up and the muscles in his neck almost spasming as he looked at Sebastian like he was crazy.

Sebastian only kept his eyes on Bruce, his expression blank and betraying none of his thoughts. Dick knew better though, being so close to him.

Sebastian had begun to sweat, his palms were moist and his pulse rate had increased to a point where if Dick hadn't been aware, he would have thought that Sebastian had finished running a marathon before stopping by at Wayne Manor.

The thirteen year old applauded his kidnapper for not letting his fear and anxiety look obvious. Negotiations worked only when both parties were on equal footing.

Whoever cracked first was the loser.

Dick didn't know who he wanted to win. He didn't even know what them winning meant for him. He just knew that he had a week and maybe a day left to live and he wanted to spend it with his friends and family.

He didn't want to spend his last moments in an intensive care unit with nothing but wires and sensors to keep him company. He didn't want anyone to see him that way either.

He wanted everyone to remember him as he was. He didn't want anyone's last memory of him to be that of a weak, dying boy.

And if it was possible, he didn't want to die at all.

He had always known that he would die young. It wasn't like being a good hero guaranteed that you wouldn't end up dead at the hands of a criminal, but that was just it. Even if he had to die, he had thought that he would go out heroically, sacrificing himself to save someone else.

But no, it was a beefed-up cold that was going to do him in. That wasn't asterous at all, it was depressing.

To die at thirteen; suddenly he wished that he had done more with his life. Maybe he should have gone to more gymnastic competitions. Maybe he should have caved in and told the Team who he was. Maybe if he did then he wouldn't be so lonely now.

Maybe...

Sebastian squeezed Dick's hand as though he could sense the downward spiral his thoughts were going down.

Dick blinked and looked up at him. He wanted to ask if he was okay but didn't, knowing that his voice, no matter how muffled or hoarse it was, would give their ruse away.

"Africa?" To Dick's surprise, Bruce was both the first one to break off the staring contest and the first to speak. "I wonder how the news spread so far."

Sebastian's reply came a second later, cool and full of confidence. "Secrets among the rich are never hidden for too long."

Bruce only smiled and reached for his cup of coffee (or tea).

It was then that Dick realized how desperate his mentor was, how desperate both men were.

They were both talking in circles, baiting each other into spilling secrets in order to gain the upper hand. It was both enthralling and terrifying, terrifying because Dick knew that soon he'll be caught in the middle.

He had to admit that Bruce was at a disadvantage not knowing anything about Sebastian, but his mentor was never one to stay on the losing side for long.

"Since TWell Pharmacies are doing so well, why did you arrange this meeting?" Bruce asked after a long sip. "I'm looking for some herbs for my collection, call it a hobby if you will. How does that affect the reigning CEO of the pharmaceuticals?"

Sebastian's smile stiffened, losing all its natural charm. He covered it up by casually passing his fingers through his hair. "I don't dare take that title, Mr Wayne. I arranged this meeting because we can help each other, I didn't picture you as the close-minded sort of businessman."

"Close-minded? Maybe." Bruce countered. "But you are right on one thing, I am a business man. You have nothing to offer Wayne Enterprises, therefore no transaction can be made between our companies."

"Mr Wayne, that's where you're wrong. I have in mind a project that would be mutually beneficial to both of our companies. I wonder if you're interested?"

"I assume this project is the reason you decided to meet me today?" Bruce asked, setting his empty cup back on the tray.

"Your assumption is correct."

"I'm all ears then," Bruce said, his eyes lingering on Dick for some extra seconds before he dragged his gaze back to Sebastian. "But I have to be at the office in thirty minutes, so you have fifteen."

"Like I said when you offered me a seat," Sebastian said with a small smirk, " this won't take long."

He pulled out a rolled-up document from somewhere in his coat and smoothed it out on the desk with one hand like he had practiced the motion several times before.

Then with an exaggerated smile, he asked, "Have you heard of a disease called Aliosum?"

-

....SOOO. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS HAPPENING? WHAT IS SEBASTIAN'S MOTIVE?