Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Roya

Where did everyone go? I was holed up in a dark, damp cave, at the edge of a waterfall, overlooking a bright hilly valley. My hair was drenched, so I shook it like Strafe's wolf and rubbed my eyes. "Hello!?! Strafe-Sah!? Brutus-Sah? Zon-Sah? Rousseau-Sah? Are any of you there?" my voice echoed through the cave, but no response was returned.

We were about to be destroyed by that cannon, but I am sure He saved us, Guardian. "Thank you, my old friend, you are still looking after me," I whispered while looking to the heavens.

Why am I here? I closed my eyes to find Strafe and the others; I could see them far off in the valley. A note dropped out of my pocket I would never be without. Whenever I needed strength I would read it. Picking it up carefully, I looked at the note to fill my heart with joy. It was from the love of my life.

People search the world looking for a love like yours.

-Forever my heart belongs to you,

Falco

It felt like a million years had gone by since he passed away. The pain of missing him was still too great, it brought a tear to my eye. It was one year ago to the day that I watched him die in my arms. "Falco, my love," I muttered with a tear in my eye.

"Rooooyaaaa!" the memory of his voice played in my mind.

Falco, a warrior in our tribe back in my native country Zindaqe, was unlike anyone else. Kind, brave and loyal to his friends, he made me feel whole. I met him when I was seventeen and he was eighteen. For five years we were inseparable. We went diving in the oceans, played sports with our friends and grew up together. We fell in love along the way. Unfortunately, because of what I was destined to be, he died to save me a year ago.

"How dare you hide this love from us! It is forbidden for you to love any man! You are to become a Lady!" my father scolded me.

"Without Falco, my heart beats not! Daddy, stop them from doing this!" I begged on my hands and knees.

I was from the Dream Islands, it's a place near the coast of northern Zindaqe. Very tropical and beautiful, it was a paradise to live in. In my culture, we were ruled by a chosen Lady of the Isle. The title often goes to the most beautiful girl after the reigning Lady of the Isle dies. Out of the one hundred women who entered the selection, I was voted to be the next leader of my tribe.

I didn't want this, but my father insisted because the family of the Lady of the Isle becomes rich. Unfortunately, the new Lady of the Isle must make the grand sacrifices as first decreed by our ancestor's thousands of years ago. One of these sacrifices is that she must never be with a man. She must take a vow of celibacy.

"Falco! Wait for me! I need you!" I pleaded as I grabbed his arm.

"Roya my love, you must forget about me. They will kill us. For both our sakes, I must leave," Falco gently brushed my arm off.

"Without you, I AM dead Falco. You can't stop me, I'm coming with you. I love you," I told him as I caressed his face.

Falco hesitated but then held his arms open, and I ran into his arms.

"You're not changing your mind, I see. Maybe in Crotona we can find a new life," Falco said as he kissed me passionately.

These memories were as beautiful as they were painful. Like a rose garden, one had to be careful when navigating them.

By now I was sobbing against the wall. All of this fighting was not what I wanted, only to be with him and to live in peace.

"There they are! Get them before they board that boat!" one of our Dream Island Warriors told his men.