"I mean, well, it's not in the rules..." the advisor frowned, giving Kael a long, hard look.

    "The rules do not explicitly state a particular situation such as this. I believe we can treat this as an isolated incident and make an exception. After all, more than the expected amount of students have failed thus far, and as a reward for saving potential lives and collateral damage, I do believe Kael Smaradine should continue his studies. What concerns me more is how a phantom could even come into school grounds with no one being able to sense him."

    "I agree with Schoolmaster Reverdan," another advisor said, stepping up next to his colleague. "It may not be explicitly stated in protocol, but this boy has more than proven that he deserves to stay in the academy."

    Libina shook her head. "I'm sorry, schoolmaster, but this simply isn't right. He has already been recorded as an expelled student. We can't just change the rules now."

    "Excuse me for a second," Reverdan said to the brothers. "It seems the judges have quite a bit to discuss."

    The old man joined his advisors, turning his back on Kael with a swish of his robe. Kael tried and failed to listen into the heated but quiet discussion the judges had amongst a tight circle. Finally, after what seemed like hours, Reverdan nodded and turned back to announce their verdict.

   "That settles it, then," Reverdan said, "The judges have agreed to let Kael continue his stay at the academy."

    Kael's heart skipped a beat. He couldn't believe what he was hearing.

    "However, because of a technicality and his initial failure at the exam, he will not be attending as a student."

    Confusion rippled through Kael's mind. Wouldn't that make his stay pointless? He had come to Saphir to study, not to freeload.

    "I'm not sure I understand." Kly squeezed Kael's shoulder. "What will he be if he isn't a student?"

    "Oh, don't worry about it." Reverdan grinned with a mischievous glint in his eyes. "There is no rule that states an assistant can't learn with the students. After all, Kael is already attending the school on a scholarship. There will be no monetary loss with him attending classes without being registered."

    "But he can't graduate that way," Kly argued. "Isn't there any other way?"

    "Don't you worry about it, Proctor Kly." It was an advisor who had spoken this time. The very same one that had rejected Kael's acceptance into the next phase of school. "We have agreed that if he scores high enough in the final exam, he will be allowed to continue his studies as a second year. He just has to prove this wasn't a fluke."

    Kael wanted to wither away when she moved her piercing gaze onto him. He just knew she still wasn't ready to accept the change in protocol, even if his circumstance was isolated. He swallowed. Hard. He'd heard the final exam was much harder than the WCT, especially because it included both a written and practical test.

    Kly admitted defeat. With a slight sigh, he managed a smile. "Fine. I suppose it's only fair. Thanks for giving my br—this student a second chance."

    "It's our pleasure," Reverdan replied. He winked at Kael. "I'm looking forward to your academic performance, even if you'll be an errand boy. Your job will be explained to you in more detail once the week is over."

    "Um." Kael cleared his throat and squared his shoulders. "Thank you, sir. I'll do my best."

    "Good, good." Reverdan's beard bounced as he boomed a hearty laugh and slapped Kael's shoulder blade, nearly sending him flying to the ground. "Now let's go have some lunch. All this watching has made me hungry."

Phantom Hunters | Saphir Casters Academyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें