40 | Magic of Harmony

XL | MAGIC OF HARMONY

    "All right, who's the idiot who stole my cake?"

    Rita stormed into the room, slamming the door behind her. Her pigtails bounced wildly with her animated steps toward the low table and couches on which Tyra and Fadhia sat. Her cheeks were flushed with genuine anger that someone had stolen her pastry, her freckles more prominent than usual.

    Fadhia, seemingly oblivious, greeted Rita with a cheery clap. "Rita! So nice to see you! Where were you the whole day?"

    Tyra calmly closed her book and placed it on her lap with a sigh. "It seems the peace was short lived. Is it too much to ask for at least ten minutes of silence?"

    Rita snorted, crossing her arms. "That's not the issue here, Tyra. Was it you who ate my cake? You know I was saving that for later!"

    Unfazed, Tyra mimicked Rita's posture, albeit more elegantly. "It's not my fault you left it lying around unattended. Food left out will spoil or attract rats. I was only cleaning up." She raised her chin in defiance but averted her gaze, thinking about how the temptation of the beautiful swirls of cream and the gentle touch of a strawberry was too difficult to resist.

    "So it was you!" Rita grabbed at her flat cap. "And here I thought you were sophisticated!"

    "Excuse me," Tyra said, keeping her voice calm. "I'm more sophisticated than you. You are a wild ruffian and very hot headed. Clearly you have not been disciplined. Don't you know that letting anger take over you is the easiest way to fail? Losing your temper means you lack the self control needed for taking any responsibility."

    "Disciplined! Ha! I've never seen anyone so disciplined stealing food! Didn't you ever learn not to touch other people's stuff? It's disrespectful! Some discipline you have."

    Tyra clenched her jaw but remained calm. She placed her book on the table and stood, her armor rustling with her movement. She stood almost a head taller than Rita, but the fiery redhead wasn't intimidated.

    "Guys, don't fight." Fadhia's plea went unheard.

    "As I have already said. I did not know it was yours. I apologise for taking it without your permission, but don't you dare question my discipline. I have spent my entire life under this discipline, and I do not take it lightly."

    "Um, guys? What's going on here?" Kael, confused, shut the door behind him and approached the angry girls with a tray of cups in hand.

    Tyra flushed, having been caught losing her cool. She cleared her throat. "It's nothing at all." She reclaimed her seat and opened her book to drown away the real world and ignore what had happened.

    "Okay..." Kael shrugged. "Anyway, I got you guys some drinks. Here."

    Rita glared at Tyra for a good few seconds before huffing and turning away. Her ankle boots thudded on the carpet until she sunk into an armchair. She crossed her arms and shot occasional glares in Tyra's direction, still grumpy about losing the snack she'd been saving to eat.

    Kael, oblivious to the tension between the girls, grabbed a cup of milk and plopped down between Tyra and Fadhia. With a grin, he rested one arm over the back of the couch and crossed his legs.

    "Hey there, Fads!" he said cheerfully. "What are you up to?"

    Fadhia returned his smile, relieved that he lightened up the atmosphere. "Nothing much. What do you think Wynt's planning to do?"