27 | The Swindler

XXVII | THE SWINDLER

    Seis Aqwivl clapped her hand in front of the class to gain their attention. The chatter stopped, and Kael marveled at how so many people could stay quiet enough for the teacher to speak.

    "Okay," Seis boomed with a clear voice. "We have received all your forms and reviewed them before you came to class. Your chosen weapons are lined on the tables behind you."

    The mass of students swiveled around to look at what their teacher was talking about.

    "I want all of you to get in a single file line in front of me and find your weapons in an organised manner. If any one of you causes trouble, you will not get to participate in today's class. Is that understood?"

    The crowd mumbled their agreement.

    "Good. Get in line, now. Hup-hup. Hurry on!"

    Kael fell in the flow of the students, ending up in a place separate from his friends. He searched the line and saw Fadhia not far in front of him. He could see Rita's fiery braids where the line curved, but Wynt and Tyra were lost in the sea of colours. He did, however, see Garun among the first to get in line, and Nihir, the Arridian noble, was right behind Kael, poking at him to get out of line.

    "Move behind me, lowlife," Nihir said with a scowl. "You do not deserve to be in front of me."

    Kael snorted. "Too bad. I got here first."

    Nihir's lips curled into a snarl and he shoved Kael out of line before taking his place. "You should go to the very back. Where you belong."

    "You gutrat," Kael said, his temper flaring.

    Nihir merely turned away in contempt, acting as if he hadn't just pushed Kael out of line. Kael felt his blood boil, but he wasn't about to start a fight. The first class with their chosen weapons was too crucial for him to risk losing it.

    With a sigh, he turned his heel and left. He could hear Nihir laughing behind him, and he fought the immense urge to tackle the noble to the ground.

    "Oi, duke!" Rita called out when she saw him.

    Kael smiled and stopped next to her.

    "What are you doing? You don't have your weapon."

    He shrugged, not wanting to dwell on his unpleasant encounter with Roder's goon. "I kinda got out of line, so I have to go to the back."

    Rita clicked her tongue. "Nonsense! Come on. Get in front of me."

    Despite the protests and glares from the students behind her, Rita pulled Kael in line.

    "I'm not sure this is a good idea," Kael voiced.

    "Oh, don't be such a do-gooder. I don't mind, and I'm sure the folks behind us don't mind, either."

    "Actually," the girl behind her began.

    "So!" Rita raised her voice to drown out the girl's protest. "What weapon did you end up choosin', duke?"

    Kael shrugged. "Well...I turned in a blank."

    Rita's eyes widened. "You what?"

    "I didn't know what to choose, so I figured...oh, I don't know. After circling and erasing so many weapons, I just decided to let fate decide. Whatever the teachers thought I chose, I'll go with."