18 | Promise

XVIII | PROMISE

    Kael nearly dropped his brush at the sudden pounding at the door. Cursing, he stuck his hand under the running water and patted at the stubborn strands of hair that refused to flatten down.

    "Hey! Are you almost done in there?" a cranky girl's voice shouted from behind the wooden door.

    "Just a minute!" Kael yelled back. Usually, he wouldn't mind that guys and girls took turns using the bathrooms on their floor, but today, he couldn't help the irritation that sprang up from his inability to look presentable and the girl's constant banging.

    He tried one more futile attempt at brushing down his hair before finally throwing the door open. A girl with messy brown hair glared at him.

    "Finally!" She threw her hands up. "What on Hearth were you doing in there? All the other girls have gotten into their bathrooms, but I have to scream to get in mine!"

    Kael shrugged, too annoyed to apologise. "The bathroom's all yours."

    He left before he had to listen to her yelling her head off. It was the first day off of school, and Kael felt that it was an occasion worthy enough to get him prim and proper enough for Lana to gush with pride.

    The late morning sun seeped through the cracks of the large double doors that led outside. Kael hesitated, wondering where he should wait for his brother. He looked down to make sure his collared shirt was spotless and well tucked into his brown trousers, patting at the wrinkles that seemed to stick around like parasites.

    "Kael? Why are you dressed up?" Wynt appeared in front of Kael, making the latter jump in surprise. Wynt was dressed in a baggy shirt and shorts, looking like he hadn't even bothered to change from his pajamas. He did, however, have the straps of his viola case across his chest.

    "I, um," Kael rubbed the nape of his neck. "I'm going to the city with my brother. I guess I didn't want to look too...shabby when walking around with him." He laughed in an attempt to hide how awkward he felt. "What about you? Are you going out to practice?"

    Wynt nodded, shifting the case on his back like he was uncomfortable. "Yeah, I guess so."

    "You have to play for me and the others some time. You must be good if you practice like that."

    Wynt shrugged. "No. I'm not that good, and I don't play in front of other people."

    "Why not?" Kael asked before he could stop himself. He hadn't wanted to pry, but his curiosity got the better of him.

    "I just don't. I play for myself, and I don't really feel comfortable when other people are around. Is that weird?"

    "No, not at all. I think I get what you mean. Some people just can't handle the pressure." He thought of Fugax, how the youth had looked like he'd collapse from meeting so many people. He wondered if that was why Fugax buried himself in the library instead of going to class, which he seemed young enough for.

    "Yeah, that's right. Well, I'll get going then. Have fun with your brother." Wynt waved before opening the large doors and disappearing into the bright sunlight.

    Kael heaved a sigh.

    "I guess I'll wait here," he muttered to himself. "Kly will come."

    He stood waiting until the late sleepers were up and about. His stomach grumbled. He sank to the ground, leaning on the wall next to the double doors. He stubbornly refused to move.