6 | The Good, Maybe Bad, News

VI | THE GOOD, MAYBE BAD, NEWS

    Lana leaned back to inspect the bandages around Kly's wound. They were tightly bound, sealing the sensitive skin from possible infections. She sighed and whacked him on the head.

    "Ow, Aunt Lana!" Kly rubbed his head. His gray hat lay on the table next to him, unable to cushion her sudden attack.

    "You should be more careful," Lana said, her face flushing with different emotions. "How can you be so reckless?"

    Kael laughed. "You're more dangerous than a phantom, Aunt."

    That earned him the same punishment as Kly's, and he clamped his mouth shut to prevent himself from making another offending remark.

    Lana huffed. "Shush you. You're no different, jumping into danger like that. Anyway, how's Lint?"

    Kael's face fell. "He's fine."

    "Why the long look?"

    Kael merely shook his head. He still couldn't forget how Aisa embraced Lint when the big boy woke up. She hadn't even hesitated to give him a kiss in front of everyone. Even Roder had been disappointed.

    Kly stretched his arm, testing his torn muscles. "Aunt Lana. There's something I need to tell you. Where's Uncle Hont? He needs to be here, too."

    Lana quirked a brow, but didn't question her nephew, instead ordering Kael to fetch his uncle.

    Kael nodded. He jumped up and plodded outside. Hont was snoozing on a hammock with Vovy snoring beneath him. Rolling his eyes, Kael woke the man up and returned to the house, eager to hear what Kly had to say.

    Hont made a noisy entrance, stretching and yawning loudly. He scratched his neck. "What's this about? It better be worth my nap."

    When everyone had gathered, Kly dug through the pockets of his coat. He took out an envelope and handed his coat to his aunt so she could fix the rip. She winced when she saw the darker stains of blood around the tear.

    "I told Kael that I had another reason for coming here, and it's time I told all of you."

    Kly handed the envelope to Kael. A crimson wax seal held it shut. Kael pried it from the paper and opened it.

    "What is it?" Kael asked. He slipped out a piece of folded paper from the envelope. When he unfolded it, the first thing he saw was a gold-sheened crest of the Saphir Organisation: a snake divided into seven pieces coiling around a sword.

    Kael's eyes widened as he read the contents. Lana leaned forward expectantly. "Well?"

    "Kael's been offered a scholarship to the Saphir Casters Academy. It's nearing the start of a new term. This will give Kael the opportunity to learn how to become a full-time caster. He'll be able to fight blighters — and phantoms, eventually."

    Hont laughed, slapping Kael's back. "Would you look at that? You've finally been accepted into something."

    Kael glared at his uncle. "Shut up, you old geezer. It's not like you could have ever done the same."

    Hont shrugged. "What can I say? I much prefer the farm life. This is a problem, though."

    "Why?" Kael asked.

    "I was planning on letting you inherit the farm. Eventually, when I retired. Now that you're leaving, though, it seems that I have to find someone else..."