13 | The Den

XIII | THE DEN

    Kael stood by Wynt and Rita in front of the massive door of the Silver Wolf Den. Kly was at the entrance to greet the students, his face brightened in a warm, welcome smile.

    "Congratulations to all the new students who passed the exam today. Those of you who have just arrived, stay here. The rest of you may go on to your rooms."

    A large stream of people flowed into the dorm. Rita waved a goodbye before joining the crowd. Only four students remained. An Arridian girl next to Kael and Wynt bounced on her heels, causing her jeweled headpiece to jiggle against her forehead and the looped strands to tap against her temples. She had a straight nose, large eyes accentuated by long lashes, and luscious black hair flowing to the small of her back. Her lips curled into an excited grin. Another student stood behind them, but Kael didn't want to give a strange first impression by peering over his shoulder to study his classmate.

    "Right," Kly said. "So you're the kids who passed today's exam. Congratulations. Out of four-hundred-and-five students, only nineteen of you passed. You're welcome to feel proud of yourselves."

    He sent a wink in Kael's direction, making the boy glow with pride. Kael felt lucky to have such an amazing brother.

    "Now follow me. I'll show you to your rooms." Kly gestured to the door and entered first. Heart thumping loudly, Kael followed. The excitement in the air was electrifying even with only four students entering the dorm.

    Once inside, Kael inhaled sharply. A grand open space reminiscent of a ballroom welcomed them to the dorm. Out of seven other dorms, the Silver Wolf Den was only third in terms of size. A massive curved staircase led upstairs and antique wooden furniture decorated the white space. Large portraits and pictures lined the walls.

    Against one of the walls, Kael noticed a huge number of small rectangular frames. He couldn't take a closer look, however, as the group was moving through the hall.

    "Fadhia Bal-Aamer, since you're the only girl here, I'll start with you. Your room is number fifteen. Here's your key."

    After handing her the key, Kly showed her to her room, instructing the boys to stay where they were. When he returned, he led them to a hall across from the girls' rooms, going under the staircase to do so.

    "The boys' room are in the second hall. You are prohibited from going to the girls' side of the dorms, mainly due to privacy reasons. School policy."

    Kael took this time to study the third boy with the group. He had dark blue hair that reminded Kael of the ocean depths sweeping back with each step. A hint of a scar on his left cheek peeked from behind the dark red scarf that covered a good chunk of his face. Kael wondered what the boy had gone through. The cold look in his hooded brown eyes lacked the trust so common in boys their age.

    Kael hadn't seen him at the arena. It occurred to him that the academy had another type of exam for students who excelled in academics rather than practicals at the same moment Kael had taken his. It was more than likely that the Orachean had come from there.

    "Garun," Kly said. "Your room is number thirty-one. Here."

    Garun took the key without a word before disappearing into his room. Kly didn't seem bothered, instead gesturing for Kael and Wynt to follow him.

    "Wynt Condi-Ruteke." Kly cleared his throat. "I hope I didn't butcher your name, there. Your room is thirty-three."

    With a smile, Wynt grabbed the key from Kly's outstretched hand. "Thank you. I'll see you tomorrow, Kael." He put his fist to his forehead as a sign of goodbye.