45 | The Last Day of Preparation

XLV | THE LAST DAY OF PREPARATION

    Kael wiped his brow and stuffed the head of the mop into the bucket. He scanned the room, satisfaction filling him as the floor shone from his backbreaking polishing. Proud of his work, Kael grabbed the handle of the bucket and went outside to pour the water into the dirt.

    He had just emptied the bucket when he noticed a familiar figure approaching him. He broke into a wide grin, dropping the tools, and rushing forward to meet his brother.

    "Kly! You're here!" Kael bounced on his heels, unable to wipe the childish grin off his face. "I thought you wouldn't be able to make it for my WCT!"

    Kly returned Kael's smile, but the young boy didn't miss the lack of energy behind it. Kael studied Kly, taking in the latter's tired brown eyes resting atop dark bags of exhaustion.

    "Hey, there, little buddy." Kly reached out and patted Kael's head with a lifeless hand. Kael couldn't feel the familiar ruffle in Kly's greeting.

    "Is something wrong?" Kael asked, not liking the solicitous twist in his gut. "Did something happen in your mission."

    Kly's smile strained, and it seemed even he knew how futile it was; he gave up, instead staring blankly at a spot on the ground. Sighing, Kly shook his head. "Let's go in, Kael. What are you doing here, anyway?"

    As they walked back towards the tavern, Kael picked up his discarded bucket and mop. "It's, uh, community service." He braced himself, expecting Kly to sigh in disappointment and ask why and how Kael had gotten in trouble.

    "I see. That's all right." Kly shoved his hands into his pocket. Kael didn't like how Kly didn't seem to be with him at that moment. Instead, the proctor seemed to be far away from the present. It disturbed Kael to see how off his brother was.

    Kly seemed to notice as he mustered a more convincing smile this time. "Hey, don't worry about it. Just focus on the test, all right? I'm just tired. That's all."

    "Okay..." Kael wanted to believe that Kly was okay, but he couldn't shake off the feeling that his brother was hiding something from him. Still, he trusted that Kly wouldn't do anything to hurt him, and he would have a reason for keeping secrets.

    The guards gave a nod of acknowledgement before the brothers entered, not even waiting for Kly to pull out his license and membership card. Glarid was busy signing papers for the casters. He paused when he caught sight of the two approaching him. Grinning, he stood.

    "Well, would you look at what the cat dragged in," Glarid said, greeting Kly by grabbing his forearm. Kly returned the gesture, wincing slightly at Glarid's strong grip. "Black Scorpion and his younger brother. Quite the sight if you ask me. It's like you went to the past and brought your younger self right back here."

    Kly laughed, and Kael's heart eased. Maybe he was just being paranoid.

    "Yes, I've heard that quite a few times." Kly dropped his hand into his pockets, and Kael heard a vague rattle as if there was a bottle of rocks.

    "I'm guessing you're here to report your mission?"

    Kly nodded. "I am. I arrived two days ago, but I had a few things I had to take care of and couldn't come straight here."

    "No problem. Just put it on this pile, here, and I'll stamp it with the others." Glarid pointed to a large stack of papers on the edge of his desk. Kly pulled out a folded piece of paper and ironed it down on the stack with his hands.