Chapter 28- A Twisted Trial

He was walking- Well more hobbling- after Kokichi as the boy rushed off ahead of him. Shuuichi had managed to catch a familiar glint shine in his eyes just before he had turned away. A detour? Where was Kokichi going? They were heading the way to the trial grounds, but he saw Kokichi, who was ahead of him, turn right and back into the dormitories. They were going back there?! There wasn't enough time to look for more clues! They were expected to be at the trial grounds now! What was he playing at?

"Kokichi...!"
"I know, I know just come alright, you don't have to be a stickler for the rules all the time geez, were you some honour student before this?" Shuuichi simply frowned at him, but didn't bother to respond. He had always if not mostly abided by the rules and tried his hardest to get good grades, but he wouldn't have gone as far to be considered an honour student. Kokichi held the door open for him and he stepped inside anxiously. Would they get punished? Was this ok because Kokichi is the mastermind or is he also worried that he would get punished? Kokichi slipped in beside him and moved over to the body which was still framed in the doorway.

Kokichi bent down and looked to be thoroughly scanning the body for something. Shuuihi was about to ask what, when Kokichi exclaimed loudly.
"Aha!" He picked something up and held it up for Shuuichi to see. A key! "Looks like it worked after all, so the culprit was scared, huh? Well they should be more scared now..." Shuuichi looked down to where Kokichi had found the key and saw a small skid mark of blood smeared across the floor.
"Was this your plan? To get the key?"
"That's half correct, but there's not enough time to explain fully so sorreyyy~" Kokichi sung, grinning from ear to ear. "Detour complete, we gotta go now!"
Kokichi straightened up and hooked his arm through Shuuichi's and marched out.

They had the key. Had the culprit decided to put them back? Was that what Kokichi had wanted?
"You two are getting pretty chummy." Said a harsh voice from behind them as they made it out into the open and had begun their descent down to the elevator to the trial grounds.
"Oh hi there Makiroll! Didn't see you there." Maki's face seemed to harden at the name and Kokichi gave a little gasp of fake horror, "oh yeah that was what that space nerd used to call you wasn't it? Oops, must feel like a stab in the heart aye? Or..." Shuuichi didn't feel like anything said with the look Kokichi was now giving Maki could be good. He was in half a mind to unhook his arm and clap a hand to Kokichi's mouth to stifle his next words, but the action seemed impossible with Kokichi's new found grip on his forearm. "A stab in the back?" A hand flew to the throat of the boy next to him and the grip relinquished almost instantly from Shuuichi's arm as Kokichi's hands scrambled at the grip on his neck.

Kokichi's feet left the ground and he coughed horribly, holding onto the squeezing fist, but other than that, he didn't make an attempt to escape.
Shuuichi felt frozen for a good half a second and then quickly turned to Maki.
"Maki please let him go," he pleaded, glancing over at Kokichi who seemed to be developing a red tinge to his face as he struggled to take a breath, "he can't breath!"
"You're going to stick up for him...?" Maki said her eyes not betraying any emotion as she stared deeply into his own. After a few horrible seconds, he heard the sound of Kokichi crumpling to the ground, spluttering as he pushed himself up quickly.

"I thought Kaito was your friend..." she gave Shuuichi a final look and walked away. He looked after her stunned. What was that supposed to mean...?
"What a bitch! Ultimate Child caregiver my ass, more like ultimate child strangler!" Kokichi gasped, rubbing his neck tenderly. "Let's go." He said finally, as it seemed the tightness in his throat had begun to loosen. Shuuichi followed slowly still shocked at Maki's words. What had she meant by that? Of course Kaito was his friend! Maki had attacked Kokichi, he couldn't stand for that just because Kokichi said something hurtful.

When they arrived, everyone was already inside waiting apprehensively except for Maki who didn't bother to look up at the pair of them. It played out as it had before. The entrance to the elevator appeared and they all descended with caution. Only when the elevator had stopped did they all step out and approach the trial ground.
"I'm glad you all could make it! Well most of you~" The bear called with a wide grin. He was perched upon that stupid chair of his above the trial grounds and looked as happy as ever. "Please make your way to your respective spots and we will begin the class trial!" No one moved at first, but once Kaede had taken a tentative step forward towards her spot, others soon followed.