Chapter 23- A Differing Reality

"So if you press this... and then turn this dial a little it should work fine." An all too familiar female voice chirped.
"I don't like the sound of that 'should' very much..." he replied, concern creeping up on him. Was he really going to go through with this with such confidence from the creator? At first he had been excited to test it out, but now...
"It's fine, it's fine, I'm pretty sure... I mean I obviously did everything right, it's just a matter of if it will work."
"Wouldn't that just be getting it wrong?" A snide voice cackled.

"Shut up! Hurry up Shuuichi! Just yank it a little, you know like..."
"I get it!" He quickly interrupted her, managing a side glance at Kokichi who was smiling slyly at him. Giving the boy a little incline of the head as if to say 'best to cut her off early' and focused his attention back on the device Miu had in store for him. "So I just..." he pushed the button in the middle of the remote and stepped onto the landing which trembled ominously beneath his feet.

"Hey and if it does work don't be seen especially by yourself, if TV has taught me anything it's that messing with other timelines is a big no no." Kokichi explained. Shuuichi grimaced, there was that disconcerting 'if it does work' again. Why couldn't either of them be more positive this was going to work.
"Right, well it's only a neighbouring reality right? So consequences won't be too bad if I am seen." There was no answer from either Miu nor Kokichi. He turned his head to find them both with furrowed expressions and staring straight at him.

He blushed.
"Fine I won't be seen so stop looking at me like that it's making me more nervous."
"Just get on with it, spin the dial!" Miu waved him on with a hand. Turning back around to the machinery Shuuichi fiddled with the dial and spun it a clockwise turn. As soon as he had, the shaking of the floor worsened and bright lights appeared at his side. Would it be bad if he jumped off now? This wasn't safe, it couldn't be. The floor felt like it was about to take off.

"Hey guys?!" He yelled, trying to be heard over the loud clunking and clicking, but there was no reply. As soon as he spun around in a panic, prepared to dive off the machine and back onto solid ground, the sound and light broke. He felt the floor give way. He was falling into the deafening bright light. There was no sound. The air around him had become eerily silent. He went to take a breath in and nearly choked. He couldn't breathe. He tried again and found himself becoming increasingly lightheaded the longer he tried to inhale.

He couldn't panic, that would only make it worse. He puffed out his cheeks and attempted to keep the remaining air in his lungs for as long as he could. How long would he be stuck here. He didn't know how long his remaining lung capacity would hold up. He was still falling. It was hard to tell how fast because there was no rushing of wind at his side, but it felt very fast. Was he getting faster? And then it engulfed him. He felt a gush of air fill his lungs and he gulped it down gratefully. His chest felt weak and tight from their struggle. He blinked against the change of light and it took him a couple of seconds to adjust. Miu's Lab?

"Hey! Who's there?!" A horty voice called and Shuuichi jumped up, trying not to think about how dizzy he felt and how he could collapse any second. Had it worked? Was this a different timeline to his own?
"Wait is that?" That voice. It caused his blood to run cold. That was unmistakably his own. It had worked. The invention had actually worked!
"It's Angie Yonaga." He responded quickly with a high put on voice and sprinted for the exit and dodged to the side of the building and out of sight of the door. He saw the doors burst open and himself emerge from them, looking around curiously for the perp.
"I know one thing for sure, and that is that that person wasn't Angie Yonaga."
"I guess that's why they call you the ultimate detective, genius." He saw his other self scowl and lean to look around the side of the building he was currently hiding behind. He shrank further into the wall and held his breath.