"Kid, you should know by now that I'd find ya anywhere," the deep voice of Malcolm replies back.

I look up and see that his expression was hard, and I knew I've put this man in hard situations more than I'd like to admit.

"If your here to take me back, there's no need. Your boss doesn't want me anymore," I spat out, crossing my arms and turning away from him.

"Oh really? Then why did he call me to come find you and take you back home?" He questions and it made my heart skip a beat.

I snapped my head to him in surprise. "Really?" I didn't want to sound hopeful, his words were pretty serious.

"Look girly, I don't know what's going on between ya two but my life is on the line for this. I've pulled too many of Joker's stings and I can just tell my time with him is coming to an end."

I bite my lip and look up at the older man. "I know and I'm sorry you have to go through this. But Jack made it clear he wanted me to get lost. So I'm leaving town, and you can try to stop me but I'll put up a fight," I tell him sternly.

Malcolm stares down at me with a hard face. It was as if he was silently debating on what to do. After a few moments, a sigh left his lips before he leans back against the bench. "Where ya think on going?"

"Metropolis," I reply. "It's a big city, I can change my identity, blend in with the crowd, and start a new life."

"What about the whole," he pauses and motions to his neck and I caught the hint.

"It'll be painful, but if it means staying away from him then I'll endure it."

"Boss is not going to like this. Ya know he'll stop at nothing to find ya," Malcolm remarks, shaking his head.

I look down at my hands. "I'll deal with it if he ever does find me. As for you, maybe it's time you be your own boss."

He raises his eyebrows at my statement. "Ya mean run away? I already told ya where I stand on that."

An idea suddenly sparked in my mind. "Come with me," the words slipped off my tongue before I could even register what they actually meant.

My heartbeat hammered in my ear as I awaited for his response. I did not have romantic feelings for Malcolm, he was more like a brother to me if anything. But I didn't know how he saw me. Would he think that was crazy? Would he never leave the Joker?

His eyes stare back at me and I felt my cheeks blush from embarrassment. Of course he thought that was a ridiculous idea. He probably didn't even like me after what I've put him through. The Joker has beaten him because of me, more than once. Not to mention threaten his life on more than one occasion. I wouldn't blame him if he even wanted to throw me in the harbor himself.

I've just caused nothing but trouble.

"Okay."

I'm sorry, what?

"Let's go," he continues as he stands to his feet. He holds a hand out to me and I stare at it with confusion.

"Are you serious? You'd risk your life to run away with me?" I ask him incredulously.

He lets out a chuckle. "It wouldn't be the first time I'd risk my life for ya," he snorts.

A smile spreads across my lips as I place my hand in his.

***

One week later...

Malcolm and I made it out town just in time to miss the action. The Joker wasn't kidding when he said he had plans. He blew up a hospital, threatened to blow up a farrie carrying civilians and prisoners. It ward to imagine that the one person who I was supposed to spend my entire life with, would play games with the lives of innocent people.