6

Although I was not happy, I was still thankful that my punishment wasn't as severe as it could have been. The Joker was a psychopath, and he could have very well hurt me or even torture me for my escape attempt. The only thing I had going for me was this soulmate bond, and even then I was still fearful that he wouldn't care.

This room did have a window but it was small and would definitely not fit my shoulders. But at least it told me if it was day time or not.

I didn't get much sleep, maybe a few hours. I watched the sun slowly filter in from that window and reflected on my life. Why did destiny paired me with someone so cruel and sadistic? A murderer and a criminal. He acted on impulse, like he never thought about the consequences of the outcome. He killed his own men in cold blood, and even threatened to kill a child!

A shudder runs through me and I felt my frown deepen into a grimace. My life was a literal joke, and I could only imagine what my parents would have to say to all of this. They already disliked the idea of me being in Gotham, the last thing they want to hear is, "My soulmate is a cold blooded killer clown?"

Did they even know I was missing? Obviously the witnesses at the bank knew that the Joker kidnapped me, but since I've been cut from the outside world, I have no way of knowing if the public was searching for me.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by a loud knock coming from the door. I move to sit up as the door unlocks and opens. At least they knocked.

Malcolm came striding in, a black eye making itself known on his face. I cringe knowing that the Joker must have done that from my escape attempt.

He sends me a glare but speaks. "Your room is ready."

A part of me felt guilty, for I knew it was my fault that he got a beating. But then again he was still alive.

I stand and approach him, biting my lip as I walk outside. There were a few other men out there who all sent me glares as I walked down the hall. Once I got to my supposed room, one of the men opened the door for me. Before I walked in I turned and gave the men an apologetic smile.

"Hey guys, I'm really sorry about yesterday. I didn't know he was going to kill one of you."

They gave me a surprised expression but remained silent. Malcolm motioned for me to go in and I obeyed and he followed me.

Once we were the only two in there, he turned to me. "Listen girly, I know you're not happy to be here. But you are the Joker's soulmate, and that's just something your going to have to deal with."

I cross my arms and huff. "How is that fair! Don't I have a choice here? Can't you reject the soul mark bond?"

He gave me a look. "Do you really think rejecting the Joker will have any positive outcome?"

I looked down, my shoulders slumped.

"Why would he even want me? Is he capable of love?"

"Everyone is capable of love," he remarks.

"Even a psychopathic killer?" I jab back, narrowing my eyes at him. 

"I've know the Joker for years, and I've never seen him look at anyone the way he looks at you. He may not be the ideal man; no romantic dinner dates or white picket fences. But he'll love you in his own way. Your best chance is to just give in. It will be better on all of us," he suggest. "Besides, try to get to know him. Under all that makeup there's a man with a story," he makes his last statement before turning to leave.

I was alone once more.

I took in his words. Could the Joker really love me? Could I really love the Joker? We are soulmates; we were meant to be together the moment we were born. What did happen to the Joker to get him the way he was?