Chapter 26 - Light in the storm

Cynthia's POV

They have found a woman with blond hair somewhere on an island near where Samantha had fallen over board a few months ago. I waited for my mother to come pick me up from work so we could go and identify her. She was currently in a coma. One side of me wished it would be Sam but on the other side my mind told me that she could never survive falling overboard. My mom stopped in front and I ran quickly to climb in the passenger seat. She pulled away before I could close my door properly. She hurried in the direction of the hospital, skipping a few traffic lights on the way.

I just sat quietly, too shocked to say anything.

She parked in front of the hospital and we both jumped out and ran towards the entrance. The security guard stopped her when she wanted to ran past him.

"Excuse me, Miss. You have to sign in." He said and walked back to his table standing next to the entrance.

My mother ignored him and ran inside and I quickly followed her. He came after us but my mother and I entered the room, which they gave her over the telephone when they asked her to come identify the person, before he could catch up to us.

My mother walked over to the bed and there ran chills through my body. It felt like I was identifying a dead body. I saw the silhouette of a skinny person lying under white sheets. My heart skipped a beat every step I took closer to the bed. My mother knelt next to the bed, her head resting on the edge.

I saw a familiar face which I didn't recognize at the same time. Her hair was a bleak yellow and her face was pale. It was my sister.

A tear of joy escaped my eye while my mind was still in shock. She was alive but only barely.

I focused on her chest, it was moving very slightly and I couldn't help but think that it would stop moving anytime soon.

My mother held her lifeless hand that hung from the bed.

"Good day, I'm Doctor Khatri. Are you able to identify if this person is related to you?" The doctor said as soon as he entered the room and saw us.

"It's my sister. My name is Cynthia, and this is my mother, my sister's mother as well." I told the doctor and my voice brought me back to reality.

"We don't have any medical history of the patient or any identification. Will you be able to present it to us and fill in a few forms?" He asked me.

"Sure." I said unsure and looked at my mother, still sitting in the same position as before.

I looked at Samantha's face one last time before following the doctor out of the room.