Chapter 16 - Hope ?

I woke up to the pleasant smell of dewy petrichor after the rain. The sun burst through the slits in the walls. Alvaro lay on his side next to me, his bright eyes meeting mine as soon as I looked at him. He smiled lovingly and sat upright.

"You are the most beautiful creature that I have ever seen in my entire life." He said while not taking his eyes off of me.

"You haven't seen a lot of people you know." I said and winked at him.

"I can promise you that there cannot be a prettier face or a more beautiful soul in this world." He replied to my comment.

I lay next to him speechless. I have never had anyone talk so passionately about me.

"We should get food. I think there are still strawberries left in the garden." He said after he stood up and started putting on his clothes.

"We eat and then I'll wash our clothes while we rinse at the waterfall?" I proposed, still lying in bed, watching his every move.

He smiled, winked at me and kissed my hand before leaving the room. While putting on my clothes I noticed something in the corner of the room tucked under a piece of material. It was a solar powered two-way radio. I quickly covered it and ran after Alvaro. He waited on the ground for me. We walked to where his mother made the garden. It was filled with ripe fruit plants and trees. He lifted the leaf on each strawberry plant and plucked the ripe strawberries from underneath. He gave me a few when his hand became full.

I didn't know if the radio worked anymore or if he just didn't want to tell me about it.

After we ate we walked together to the waterfall. He undressed himself and dived into the water. The water falling gently on the surface of the pond calmed my mind as I stood there watching Alvaro. He shook his hair to the side which left the droplets flying. His eyelashes became bold from the wetness and made his eyes stand out even more. I sat down in the sand and fiddled with a plant between my fingers.

"Aren't you coming in?" Alvaro asked and brought me back from my thoughts.

I stood up and undressed while he watched me. I dropped the clothes to the ground and dived in next to where he was standing in the water. I surfaced and rubbed the water out of my eyes. He took me in his arms with a grin on his face. His body was warm against the cold water. We floated in that position for a while, just forgetting about the world and admiring each other's presence.

Later that evening we sat around a fire. The weather was perfect and the wind was still. I sat next to him with my legs over his lap, under a blanket. He rested his big arms on my legs while scratching in the fire with a stick.

 "It's such a nice night. You must tell me a story." I said and giggled.

Alvaro smiled at me flashing his perfect white teeth.

"You make me really happy, you know." He said with a peaceful expression on his face.

"It's been the best days of my life." I said while rubbing his cheek with my thumb.

"It was one late night. There was a cold breeze in the air..." Alvaro said and interrupted himself when he saw the confused look on my face.

"I'm telling the story you asked for?" He said jokingly serious.

I closed an imaginary zip over my lips and folded my hands on my lap.