Soulmate AU: Part 31

You stared at Aizawa expectantly.

How could he possibly explain what happened and make it okay.

******Aizawa's P.O.V*****

How the hell do I make things right again. I should have just told her that first night what the asshole was doing, she would have understood. Now it's just going to sound like I'm making excuses. I wouldn't believe it either after I let so much time pass.

She hates me now.

I sighed and resigned myself to that fact.

She still deserves to know. But damn its embarrassing.

I took a deep breath and looked up at her. That was a mistake. I felt what was left of my heart being ripped to shreds when I saw her face. She was so afraid. There was so much distrust and confusion in her eyes. All because I was an idiot. Because of my pride.

"You probably won't believe me and I doubt you'll ever forgive me." I sighed turning my eyes away from her to the red thread wrapped around my wrist, "but you deserve to know the truth after all this.

"That night, I was doing patrol like usual downtown when I ran into the guy. He tried using his quirk a couple of times during the fight, but I nullified it until I had him detained.

"As soon as I'd stop using my quirk he'd reactivate his—which is why you saw it flickering so much that first night— I thought that'd be the end of it once I turned him over to police custody. —But it wasn't. Turned out that the creep could activate his quirk regardless of if he was in contact with a person as long as he had been able to touch them at least once. He doesn't need to see them or even be in the same building as them after that.

"I don't know how much you know about my quirk, but it only works while I'm looking at the person. As soon as I close my eyes, my quirk stops."

Out of habit, I dropped my head to hide my face behind my capture scarf even though it had been confiscated three days ago.

I continued in a low voice, "I wasn't going to tell you about it if I didn't have to because it was frustrating. He taunted me and gloated about how he could use his quirk on me no matter where he was.

"As soon as he told me what his quirk was, I made the decision to just let it run it's course and not give him the satisfaction of thinking he'd inconvenienced me. I figured he'd lose interest in me sooner if I acted like I didn't care one way or the other."

"Did you?"

I looked up at the sound of Y/N's voice, it came out small and hesitant.

"What?" I croaked as my throat went  dry.

"...Did you not care?"

....this woman...

I started laughing quietly, it sounded sad and on the verge of being deranged, "Did I not care? I was fucking petrified."

Y/N looked at me, her face scrunched in confusion.

I shook my head and frowned, "I'm not great with people. You've probably noticed that over these past couple of days. So yea, I was petrified at the idea of suddenly meeting the person who that man called my soulmate. I didn't believe that there was someone out there that I was meant to be with.

"...So when you came tumbling around that street corner, I panicked. I didn't know what to do, I didn't want to admit the shortcomings of my quirk to you and I just..."

The silence was deafening as I let my voice trail off awkwardly.

"...You're a complete dumbass."

I cringed and braced myself for what Y/N would say.

"Why the hell did you think I would judge you because of your quirk? I literally work with kids that have zero understanding of their quirks for a living, I learned better than to make assumptions about anyone's quirk and how they might work." Y/N said looking slightly disappointed.

"How could I have know that though?" I argued.

"Maybe don't expect the worse from people for a change?" Y/N snapped.

"That's how people end up getting hurt, Y/N." I said grimacing at the idea.

"People are going to get hurt regardless of wether or not they're pessimistic, so they may as well enjoy themselves until that time comes." Y/N said tilting her head slightly.

"It's not pessimism, it's called being realistic. I can't afford to pretend like everything's ok, it'll end up getting somebody hurt again or killed." I deadpanned.

"Wait, what. Who got hurt?" Y/N asked suddenly looking very concerned.

"I work as a pro and teach kids trying to become them, there's not a large margin for error. Your job isn't much different." I pointed out, not wanting to stay on the subject.

Y/N pouted slightly, "...That may be true, but I'm still not happy that you didn't trust me."

"Do you trust strangers that quickly?"

"I trusted you, didn't I?"