Bruises (VI)

After saying goodnight to Sophie and exchanging numbers, Arthur and Angel walked back home quietly.

Arthur seemed a little confused but was too stubborn to ask the shorter woman what was on her mind.

She didn't even hold his hand.

He watched her unlock her front door before following her side.

As soon as the door clicked, he gave in. His brain scrambling to figure out what he did to upset her.

"Did I say something wrong?"

Angel blinked. "Huh?"

"You've seemed out of it since we left Sophie."

"Just thinking."

"About?"

"Did-" she paused as he crossed his arms. "Did you date Sophie before me?"

"No." He sighed. "I used to like her... but I creeped her out by stalking her."

"..."

"I just want to be her friend."

"Oh."

"Do you think I still have feelings for her?"

She shrugged. "Kinda."

He frowned before pressing her against the wall. "Well...I don't hold Sophie like this. Or look at her like this." He pressed his forehead hers. "Or kiss her. Nor have I ever stuck my cock-"

Angel covered his mouth before laughing as he tickled her.

Her hand fell down, out of defeat, before he kissed her gently.

"Thanks for supporting me tonight." He held her close. "I was so anxious. I know I probably wasn't phenomenal or anything grand, but... Seeing you and Sophie there...laughing when no one else was... That meant the world to me."

Angel kissed his jaw before playing in his hair. "I'm glad you enjoyed yourself."

He nodded before pressing his face into her neck.

"I guess I should go home to my mother tonight." He sighed.

They stared at each other. Arthur waiting for her to beg him to stay and Angel searching for a legitimate reason to ask him to stay. 

Any reason would have been good, but nothing seemed appropriate enough to stop him from going home.

"O-ok."

Arthur's eyes softened a little as he watched her stare at the floor.

"Love. I'll be back tomorrow."

"Promise?"

"Yeah."

She pulled him in for a warm hug. "Okay."

"..."

"Please be careful Arthur."

Tears had managed to betray her and he felt like shit for expecting her to ask him to stay.

Not asking him was clearly the route she'd take to be polite.

"I'm sorry." He kissed her softly. "I'm so sorry, Angel."

"Make it up to me, tomorrow."

He smiled. "Sure thing."

He quickly grabbed his jacket before heading home.

Well. That was a lie.

He did a small detour to the Wayne's home before returning home.

When he got home his mother looked up at him.