Bruises (V)

Angel woke up groggily to the smell of something spicy.

She got up with a yawn before sleepily making her way into the kitchen.

Her brown eyes spotted her lover cooking quietly while he hummed a soft tune.

She softly pressed her face into his back, hugging him close as his muscles stiffed.

"Hey sleepyhead."

She smiled as she felt him relax.

"Hey."

"How'd you sleep?"

"Pretty good." She sighed as she leaned against him. "I wish you were still cuddling with me though."

"Well. You never got to finish cooking."

"I could have finished when I woke up."

"You're injured."

"So?"

He stirred the pot on the stove, before putting on the lid; turning around to return the embrace.

"I'm here to help. Not to be served." He whispered before kissing her softly.

His hot left hand cupped her right cheek while his right squeezed her side.

"Alright." She whispered against his lips before gently pulling away.

"..." He watched her with sparkling green eyes.

"What are you making for dinner?"

Angel watched him lift a book that she was referencing earlier.

"This."

She got closer and examined it. "Vegan Jambalaya."

"Yeah."

"I didn't take you for a jambalaya kind of guy."

He shrugged. "The picture looked pretty."

She bit back a smile before kissing his cheek. "Well let's see how it tastes."

Arthur watched with curious eyes as she lifted the lid and gasped.

"Wow."

"What?"

"It looks nearly identical."

His cheeks turned red as he watched her take a spoonful into her mouth.

"Arthur Fleck."

"Hm?"

"If being a comedian doesn't work out please consider being a chef."

"I only tried to recreate the picture...." He looked down. "I can't read that well..."

"What! That's even better!"

His eyes were alarmed. "..."

"I've tried making this dish five times and it turns out as red mush every time."

"But you make tasty food."

"That's because I only make you things I've mastered." She laughed.

He laughed before covering his mouth shyly.

Man, did he hate his laugh.

It was ugly...high pitched and deranged.

"You've got a nice laugh, Arthur." She softly tugged at his hand. "Please don't be ashamed to be yourself around me."

He looked away shyly before moving around her to take the food off the stove.

"Let's eat and go to bed." He mumbled as he placed the dish on a hot pad using a white towel.