New Beginnings

"I sense your blood pressure is elevated," her tone was flat but soft, her gaze fixed to him. "How may I assist you, Greer Rhaner?"

They'd been driving in tense silence for some miles, and the android had at last broken it.

"You can't," fingers fisted around the steering wheel, he spared the series five a glance. "Not unless you have any idea where we are and what's happening."

"It is the year 2591, approximately 300 years after the War."

"How do you know that?"

"These coordinates are downloaded into my internal matrix, and by calculating the approximate-"

"Stop." He was abruptly tired again. "Do you remember me?"

"You are Greer Rhaner-"

"No, I mean...do you remember me from before today?"

She stared at him silently for a moment.

"I do not."

"Then you have no idea what's happened, where we're headed, or what we'd planned to do."

"That is correct."

His sigh was audible, but Echo reached out, laying her hand lightly on his thigh, her expression poignantly human.

"I am for you, Greer Rhaner. Whatever it is you require of me, I will fulfill it."

Watching as he shook his head, her automated response was to comfort and assure him, to relax his tension. When her hand snaked up his thigh Greer nearly slid the ATV off the road, throwing Kai to the floorboards, Echo flying into his lap.

"Watch it!" He snapped, helping her upright before twisting around to see if his son was alright. "Kai?"

"Fine Dad...I think. What happened."

"Bump in the road," a sideways glance at the android was warning enough for her not to say anything. "Sure you're alright?"

"."

"Alright," helping prop Kai back onto the seats, Greer turned on Echo. "We need to talk. Now."

"As you wish," was her calm reply, sliding out of the ATV as he stalked far enough away so Kai would not easily overhear. He turned on her.

"What is wrong with you! Why are you behaving like that?"

"I am for you-"

"Cut it out with that! I need to know what's happening! First I get you, then Vera Wagner, then you, now you're different, reset somehow, and I just don't have the time for this!"

Her touch was warm as fingers slid along his jaw, tracing the contours of bone. It silenced him as Echo moved closer, looking into his eyes.

"I am for you, Greer Rhaner, until you no longer desire me. Tell me what to do, tell me how to help you. I will do it."

"Without even knowing why?" It sounded stupid as he said it, but Rhaner couldn't help himself. The experiences he'd shared with Echo had bound them, but this new Echo was a stranger. Her offer surprised him.

"Of course." With a smile, she leaned forward, brushing her lips against his. "You don't need to ask. Whatever you need."

"Don't...don't do that."

"Am I displeasing to you-?"

"Let's not go through that again," stepping back, Greer smiled faintly at her. "I like you, or, at least I did the first time, but anything...else-"