Original Sin

"I am for you, Greer, however, as you wish." Turning away, her hand dropped back to her side and he felt a punch of guilt.

"Are you upset?"

"That is illogical, Greer. I am an android. Whatever emotion you perceive from me has been carefully calculated and programmed. I cannot be 'upset'."

"Then look at me."

Slowly she turned, electric blue orbs soft, somehow tender despite the circuitry and wires. After a long moment of gazing at him, Echo folded her arms across her body as she walked into the shadows, vanishing from sight. Rhaner had a moment of uncertainty, thinking he should go after her, then she spoke from the darkness.

"I will maintain watch from here. Sleep untroubled, Greer."

***

"Perfect," it was cooed from close by, a woman's voice. "Lewis, she's absolutely perfect."

"It ought to be," it was a man that answered. "It took months longer than I hoped just to modify the circuitry and programming."

"She even has my birthmark!"

"Of course. The android is an exact replica of you."

"How soon will she be ready?"

"Now." Something touched her head and face, pulling across her features, then a bright white light pierced the gloom, and she squinted, pupils constricting. "Vera, this is the first Echo Class series five android."

"Well hello beautiful." The woman had come very close, and the robot's eyes opened wider, filtering out the brilliant light to focus on the face so close to her.

"My name is Vera Wagner...can you say that?"

"No programming is in operation. Please imprint intended data for desired response."

"Lewis-?"

"It's normal, Vera. Right now it's just a shell...nobody home so to speak. We need to give it a personality first."

"Well doctor," a coy look flashed across Vera's face, one scanned and retained by the watching android. "I'm ready when you are."

It was a complex, painful process for Vera, for the standard method of imprinting would not work, rather, it might have, but Vera protested.

"I'm not interested in exploring sexuality with a robot, Lewis. We need a different way."

"It won't be pleasant," he cautioned earnestly. "Wires, needles, fluid transfer..."

"Do it."

So they did. After long, painful hours, a complete imprint of personality, memories, preferences, moods, voice, laughter, character traits, they were all in place. Vera was sleeping, exhausted by the strain of the procedure. Lewis helped the android from the table, trying not to ogle as she moved naked across the room to where Vera's clothes hung up.

"What happened, Lewis?" She asked, startling the scientist. He glanced at her.

"What do you mean?"

"The android. I assume that's her?"

A jolt of alarm went through him, then Lewis forced a smile, alarmed but flooded with the excitement of a breakthrough.

"Android, yes. She's perfect, isn't she? A complete, exact copy of you."

"Then what's she doing laying down?" A thread of impatience crept into her tone. "And why am I getting ready to go back to Howard? Wasn't the point of all this so that we could be together?"

"Of course, love," Soothing, he stroked fingers through her hair. "Of course it is, but we must be patient. She needs a few hours to download all the new data. In the meantime, why don't you go back? We don't want someone getting suspicious and ruining everything. Not when we're so close."

"Very well," Slipping an arm around his neck, she pushed to her toes, drawing his lips to hers in a sweet, lingering kiss. "Don't keep me waiting too long, Lewis."

"Trust me," Walking her to the door, Lewis watched with no small level of anxiety as his creation calmly walked out to the street, flagged down a taxi and got in, rapidly vanishing from sight.

"Sweet baby Jesus," he murmured softly. "It's supposed to know it's not the real Vera Wagner."

A feeling of doom suddenly swept over him, and he hurriedly shut and locked the door, leaning against it. What would happen once the series five discovered its true identity? That would present a conflicting personality matrix, the result of which could be catastrophic. Was it to late? He should have taken more time, run more tests-

"Lewis?" Vera's thready voice brought him around, hurrying to the table. "What happened? Is it done?"

"All over." He grinned, showing more confidence than he felt, keeping his doubts to himself. "The new Vera Wagner is on her way home. That leaves us the very intriguing question of what to do with you, my darling."

She slowly pulled the sheet from her body, smiling wickedly.

"I have a few suggestions...if you're interested."

He was.

A long while later the couple finally extracted themselves from each other, laughing a little, relaxed, relieved, hopeful. Vera's smile faded a little as she looked for her clothes.

"Sorry my dear. The android took them. It had to use your clothes, or risk raising suspicion."

"Of course," glancing around, she smiled, then laughed. "It worked! Lewis-" Spinning into his arms, she threw her head back, laughing loud. "I'm free! The selfish pig will never know the difference!"

"That's the idea," he kissed her temple, remembering to withhold his own doubts. "The series five will perform her duties as you would, and no one will be the wiser."

"Where should we go, Lewis?" Her eyes sparkled, but he frowned.

"Go? What do you mean? My work is here. The Echo Class is just the beginning."

"Fool!" Her tone abruptly lashed at him. "We can't stay here, not now! We have to leave, start over, somewhere far away from Howard and all the cronies that work for him! What if someone recognizes me?"

"You expect me to pack up and disappear just like that? Talk about raising suspicions! Vera, that would send up a waving red flag to my superiors. I have projects, deadlines, grants from your husband-!"

"Lewis!" Voice sharp, she glared at him, hands on her deliciously curved, naked hips. "You will do whatever is it you need to do then get out of this city! I don't care who you have to lie to, bribe, or get rid of. We are leaving!"

"Yes Vera," He watched her jerk a lab coat off the rack, roughly yanking it over her shoulders as she strode toward the lockers, and the shower. Staring at her back, he couldn't help but feel resentment at her commanding, expectant tone. Without him, where would she be? Still living in the lap of luxury at the White House! Anger built up quickly, curling his fingers into a fist. Then she called sweetly from the locker, the sound of water running.

"Lewis! The water is perfect...and there's enough for two!"

Lust overrode irritation, and the scientist shed the shirt and underwear he'd put on, hurrying to join her beneath the hot spray.