Dueling Personalities

"This is a dangerous path you lead us down, Greer Rhaner, where the likelihood of surviving is less than four percent."

"I know that-!"

"You no longer have the luxury of doubt or temper."

Taken back, he stared at her for a long moment, his eyes narrowing to slits.

"Are you telling me that I need to get it together? That I can't get angry?"

"Emotion clouds judgment and logical thinking-"

"Emotion is part of being human, which I am!"

"There is no need to shout at me, my hearing sensors are functioning perfectly."

Lips trembling in growing anger and frustration, Rhaner glared at her before swearing rapidly under his breath, raking a hand through his hair. In truth, he was no longer certain if his initial plan was viable, or even possible. Everything was riding on less than a four percent chance- Approaching him, Echo slipped a hand around his neck, fingers gliding through hair. The other slid over his shoulder as she kissed him. A long moment of frozen astonishment passed before he grabbed her waist, pushing her away.

"What are you doing?"

Features utterly calm, she gazed at him.

"Giving you a needed distraction."

"I don't need-!"

Cut off by another kiss, this time he didn't protest so quickly. For the briefest moment, it felt real, it felt good. It was only the sensation of not feeling her breath against his that cooled a swiftly growing need for release. Reminding himself that she was silicone and wiring made him again push her away.

"Okay, I'm calm...sort of."

"I am perfectly designed to simulate a-"

"Listen, Echo, now isn't the time."

"I believe I told you my name is Vera."

Startled at the sharp, foreign tone, Greer looked up. Pulling from him to cross her arms, her expression stiff in displeasure, the android stared at him. Her entire posture and poise was different, the color of her skin flushed to a natural hue. Flexing widely to breathe as one might when angry, her nostrils flared. As if she were human.

"I'm sorry...what?"

"Vera," she enunciated dramatically. "Not Echo. And why am I still with you? Haven't I made it clear that if I am not released my husband will have your head? Putting me in a basement-"

"Garage,"

"Whatever. Doesn't change anything. I will demand capital punishment for this."

Putting his head in his hand, feeling the sudden stab of a headache, Rhaner groaned.

"Not again,"

"Yes again! I will not allow you to hold me for some petty ransom-!"

"Voice command Greer Rhaner. Confirm your classification."

She slapped him, the sound bouncing off the walls of the garage. It made his ears ring.

"I am not a robot! Now, are you going to release me or not!"

Holding his cheek, Greer abruptly lost patience.

"No! You're stuck with me until Reapers stop trying to kill us!"

"Reapers," her expression widened in shock. "What is that?"

"It's a who, not a what. They are specialized soldiers trained in android detection and decommission. Right now, they want our heads."