Consequences

"Well, did you?"

"What?"

"Kill the President."

Vera glanced sideways at him, expression guarded.

"Of course not,"

"But you're not sure. If what I'm telling you is true, and you're afraid that it is, then you are the robot that started The War."

"That's ridiculous," but her voice had no grit in it now as she looked away. "Killing Howard would only make my life harder."

"If you weren't a robot, but as an android...you would turn to the one person who could sort out the confusion, the conflicting programs."

"Lewis." Swallowing, trying to remain calm even as his words sank in, Vera shifted in her seat. "You think Lewis knew what had happened, that he was a part of it?"

"Don't you?"

"Lewis!" Pounding on the thick steel door, her clenched fist leaving indentations in the steel, Vera glanced over her shoulder, fearful of pursuit. "Lewis, let me in!"

The door clicked then swung open and lunging inside, Vera slammed it closed again before leaning against it, gasping.

"What...Vera...what are you doing here? Why didn't you wait for me?"

"He's dead, Lewis! Howard's dead!" Frantic, panicked, she rushed to him, throwing her arms around his shoulders, quaking. "What am I going to do?"

"You killed him?"

"No! That is- I don't know what happened! We were arguing, he threatened me, he hit me, and then...I just don't know. The last thing I knew I was looking down at him lying on the floor. He was dead."

"Okay," pushing her away, Lewis gently led her to a chair, his expression a bewildered mix of fear and anxiety. "We need to think this through, and not panic."

"We need the android, Lewis!" Grabbing his wrist, she didn't realize the pressure of her fingers, or the tight hiss of pain he uttered. "If it's ready, let it go back there and deal with it!"

"Vera..."

"Just tell her, Lewis." Another voice came from behind him, and they both looked up. She stood there, staring steadily, her eyes cool. "Tell her the truth."

Vera got up, looking between the two.

"What is she talking about, Lewis? The truth about what?"

"Vera,"

"No, Lewis," the other woman approached, lips firm. "Don't call her that. I'm Vera. She's a machine."

"What...?" Horror flooded her features as the frightened woman backed away. "That's not true. Tell her that's not true!"

"It is." Quietly, his features grave, Lewis nodded, spreading his hands. "I'm sorry, but you're not Vera Wagner. You're an android...the most sophisticated, sleek, humanoid robot ever created. A masterpiece."

"That's not possible-"

"When you woke up on the table," he gestured to the steel form. "The imprint of Vera had just finished uploading into your core matrix. Your function was to replace Vera at the White House."

"No," shaking her head, eyes swirling blue and brown, she sidestepped toward the phone. "Androids know their purpose, know their programming. They're not human, and they know it! If I were an android, I would know it!"