Introductions

"Why can't I open the door? It's been a week!"

"Because she's fully drained, and as long as we leave her in that room with the windows closed she won't reboot."

"But why!"

"Because she's an illegal form of technology, that's why!"

"It's not going to hurt us, Dad. Can't I just peek?"

"Kai-"

"I mean, it's not as if all robots were bad, just the one who started The War!"

"Kai,"

"Three centuries ago people used them as house servants, babysitters, cab drivers, personal secretaries, companions- I mean, how bad could it be?!"

"Kai!" Greer's jaw was firm, eyes hard. "I don't care if she's as harmless as a stuffed bear! Just having her could end our life here! We will go to prison, son, prison! Just waking her up and letting her wander around our house is not a good idea!"

"Then why is it here!" With a stubborn expression that mirrored his father's the two stared at one another unflinchingly. "Why didn't you just hand it over to the Reapers when they showed up? I mean, what's the difference? Keep it locked up here, good as dead, or decommissioned in some secret warehouse. Huh?"

Greer blew a frustrated breath from his lungs, tugging a hand through his hair.

"I don't know, son. It just seemed, wrong, to leave her there. But now...this could mean real trouble for us. I'm rethinking it."

"Mom would have woken it up by now." There was the space of a heartbeat, passing in utter stillness between them.

"Trying to use your mother as a prod won't work. She's not here trying to protect you. I am."

"Mom wouldn't have let soldier goons scare her into letting the bot just rust in our spare bedroom."

"Are you looking for a grounding?"

"No. Are you scared to wake it up?"

"No. Just...cautious." Greer's mouth twitched a little. "And she's not rusting."

Kai grinned as his father shook his head, giving in.

"Sanu ki. I'll wake her up, after you've left for school. Three more study courses, and you're graduated. Don't botch it."

"Ah, Dad-!"

"After you leave or not at all."

"It'll be awake when I get back though, right? I'll get to talk to it?"

"We'll see. Hurry up now. Your tutor will be waiting."

"Alright,"

Kai flew down the stairs, his rapid footsteps echoing as he raced along the hall, slamming the front door on his way out. Standing where he could see his son from the upper window, Greer watched until Kai was out of sight, breathing a sigh of relief. Now to do what he'd been dreading. What had he been thinking that day? Why not just give the android to the Reapers and be done with it? The truth was, he wasn't sure.

Bracing himself, he twisted the bedroom handle and stepped inside, closing it behind him. The room was cloaked in semi-darkness, thick curtains pulled over windows that overlooked the backyard and acreage surrounding his home. There was absolutely no noise. Looking at the form lying on the bed he would have thought her dead, expect she looked so real she might have been asleep.

His eyes fell on the dirt crusted heels she wore, the filmy layer that traveled up her legs almost to her knees. The bedspread had been his wife's favorite. Sighing, Greer moved into the small connected bathroom, grabbed a towel to run it under water until it was wet. Wringing it out, returning to the bedroom, he cautiously drew open one curtain panel, letting the mid-morning sun fall across the bed. Moving to her side, he knelt down and gently removed the heels, setting them down. Lifting her leg, Greer used the damp cloth to wipe away centuries of dust and silt. By the time he was done the towel was nearly black.