Reboot

"I don't know how to do this,"

"Just push down easy on the pedal with your right foot, and steer with the wheel. Other pedal is the brake."

Vera was driving, giving Greer much needed rest, his eyes red-rimmed and bloodshot.

"I haven't driven since I was a teenager."

"Nothing has changed, Vera."

"Sure, except everything is different."

His sigh was tired and she instantly felt bad for complaining.

"Never mind. I'll be fine. Try to sleep."

"Do you remember where you're headed?"

"I'm keeping those peaks to my left, driving as far as I can."

"Good enough," eyes slipping closed, Greer was asleep within seconds. Vera glanced at him, puzzled, anxious, and slightly softening in her attitude toward him. Although she was struggling to accept what had happened, trying to understand this new world she found herself in, Vera was beginning to trust Greer Rhaner.

"Echo?" A mumbled voice came from the backseat, and she glanced into the rearview mirror.

"It's Vera, actually."

"Oh," the boy sat up with a pained grimace, eyeing her curiously. "Vera huh?"

"That's right. You're...Kyle?"

"Kai,"

"That's right," nodding, she focused her attention back on the road, although there was no fear of running to anything out here. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." Adjusting to reach back, rummaging through the box of food, the teen grabbed a bag of chips. "My dad says you're some kind of a subroutine. How'd that happen?"

Bristling at the wording, her fingers tightened on the wheel, though she tried not to overreact.

"I don't feel like a subroutine, as you call it, Kai. I'm a person, just like you."

"But-"

"I'd really rather not argue about it."

"Well, sure." Chewing slowly, they regarded one another in the mirror until he finished the bag of munchies. "Vera...are you still going to help us?"

"I haven't decided."

"Echo would,"

"She's not here." again her fingers gripped the wheel, the hard-plastic crackling. "I'd be just as happy if she never came back."

"I like her," defiantly, the adolescent met her fierce glare. "Echo is nice, she's smart, and she's helpful."

"She's a robot!"

"So are you."

He watched her features flush red, somewhat amazed at the transformation. If he hadn't known better, Kai would have assumed the woman was human. Yet, his stubborn tenacity and immaturity allowed him to be boldly unafraid where his father tried for peace.

"I've met a few women," he commented suddenly, watching her eyes narrow. "I like Echo the best of all of them."

"Because she has to obey you," snapping back, Vera scoffed. "Any pubescent boy would drool over a mindless toy."

"She's not like that!" His voice rose to an abrupt pitch. "Echo has her own mind about things, and she's good! She saved our lives, even though my dad isn't her real Owner!"

"He's not?" Startled, Vera glanced at Rhaner, then at Kai through the mirror. "Why not?"

"I don't know," Kai shrugged, still upset but calmer. "I don't think he wants to have sex with a robot."