Painful Rejection - Early Stage Rewrite Sample

Start from the beginning

Where could she even begin with this absurdly stereotypical couple? Marissa Sinclair was the typical teen story cheerleader with the otherworldly looks and popularity despite a poisonous personality that so many would kill for. Regardless of the season her skin held it's perfect golden glow and no matter what she was seen consuming, her form never lost it's perfectly shape consisting of wide hips below a sculpted waist, features that were nearly out shined by her plentiful chest seated in a perky manner atop her chest. A figure she most likely kept through her rigorous training as a cheerleader. The fair toned curls always hung perfectly against her shoulders and down her back and the sweet expressions she made in the sight of those she sought to impress were mesmerizing with her glinting forest green eyes. An extremely dramatic contrast to the dull form Harmony saw on herself which she considered to be much "lumpier" and unattractive, a comparison she found herself constantly fixating on.

Wrapped tightly in Marissa's arms and captivated by her bright smile, however, was the equally stereotypical Archer Haven, known amongst the youths within their small town as Mr. Popularity of Midvalley High. He stood tall and fierce with an unwavering pride, practically radiating a stubborn confidence that she knew she could never hope to possess. A top this overly masculine form was a mass of thick, chocolate curls blending nicely along the toasted hazel tan of his skin framing his firmly toned muscles straining against his fitted tee shirt almost too perfectly. Unnaturally handsome, charming when desired, an unbelievable body and a status that could grant him the world with a single command made Archer an all too real dream boat. The man in nearly every young girl's fantasy.

He was so unreal, in fact, that Harmony often wondered if she simply imagined him being her mate, soulmates drawn together by desire and as many said destiny. More than once he had tried to convince her that it was merely a dream of hers but she could never forget when they were young, only nine years old when she felt the howl within her as her spirit, her very soul bonded with his and declared that she would be his and his alone and he felt the same. She could never forget their afternoons spent running through the forest, barefoot and filthy, their laughter filling the wind before they fell to the ground breathless and he whispered that they would reign over the land together. That the two of them would fight alongside one another and protect their people and she could never forget the joy that brought tears to her eyes and she promised she would ensure that dream came to life.

However, they were only children then and now eight years later she stood alone, watching as he now promised himself to another and she had become certain that it was only her spirit that ached with the sadness of this now. He was not hers to claim, he had rejected her almost immediately after they entered high school and she knew this and she had made no pursuits since to change his mind. This made it difficult to understand why he chose her locker to have his make out sessions with Marissa each morning, as if to punish her or remind her of her place as she saw their entangled forms, saw the marks along her neck and heard the sweet words he whispered against the skin of another. She figured that the pain would ease with time but it seemed to only be growing and she was certain he was well aware of the cruelty he was inflicting.

Normally she was able to ignore the affair and turn the other way, going about her day and just as she was about to turn the other way she was struck with the realization that she had her assignment in her locker. With a grimace and a reluctant groan as she cursed all the gods regardless of religion for her horrid luck, something she found herself doing quite often, she turned to the pair completely engulfed in one another and took a few cautious steps. An air of awkwardness filled the hall as she stood beside them facing the wall across the way to avoid witnessing their passionate exchange but the motions in the corner of her eye made her stomach churn sickeningly. With as much motivation as she could muster, she quietly cleared her throat and the two parted with heavy breathes and glanced at her with glazed eyes.