Chapter Twenty Six

My hand flew to my mouth, a stupid failed attempt to stop the ugly sobs that seemed to be escaping. My eyes began to water, my vision clouded by the tears that were forming.

"Rose, we need to go," Bryce said urgently, "RIght now, come on we need to go."

I let him grasp my wrist, gently but urgently pulling me up out of my seat and towards the doorway. I threw my head over my shoulder and sneaked a glance at George. His face was sorrowful, at least, it was until a guard grabbed his arm and dragged him through the back, then he looked furious, sending a range of words into the guard's ear.

I was sobbing now. I could feel my face getting wetter and wetter from the onslaught of tears.  Running down my cheeks, my mouth, my neck. I was choking on my tears, on the pain.

The man behind the desk asked no questions and spared no glance as we walked out. As soon as the door opened and the cold air hit my face, I fully came to terms with what was happening. I picked up my pace, starting to drag Bryce instead of him dragging me.

"Byrce, we need to run, we need to get in that car," I choked out, still crying, but choosing to ignore it, instead I pulled on Bryce's arms desperately, pulling him forward, faster. "Alice, Bryce, Alice! Emily has her! Emily is with Alice! I left Alice with a murderer, oh my gosh I left my baby sister with a psychopath!" My breaths became short, my heart pumping to a pace I didn't even realise it could. I could feel my airway closing, I could feel my self choking, I could feel myself dying. Dying right there in the prison entryway. And yet I kept running, continued dragging Bryce with the small amount of strength that I could muster.

Bryce gripped my arm harder, pulling me to a halt, I let out a cry, hoping he understood it as a 'no!'.

He clearly didn't. "Take a breath." Bryce was staring into my eyes, and strangely I found my self calming down. Not calm enough, but calm enough for a few snark breaths to make its way down my lungs. "Where do you think she would have taken Alice? I need to know where to drive."

I forced myself to stop hyperventilating. I took a breath and scanned through my memories, trying to find something that could help me find my sister. I remembered our meeting earlier today. The faded, running mascara, messy hair, the red puffed eyes. What could have caused it?

Then I realised, "Bryce what's the date?"

He paused before answering, "The 10th of August, why?"

I closed my eyes and cursed. "I know where she is. The old navy base, there's a warehouse, I'll know it when I see it. Her fiance, he felt for the War, he was in the navy. This was the anniversary of his leaving."

Bryce ran a hand through his hair and blew out a breath, "The old base? Rose, it's on the other side of town, I'm not sure how quickly we can get there..."

"Then we better leave now. There should be a phone service around the base somewhere, when we get there I need you to call the police. Inform them and get them there." I quickly said, wiping the old tears away, regardless of the fact that the waterfall of tears hadn't stopped.

Bryce hesitated and then nodded, "Let's go."

------------------------------------------------------------------

As soon as we arrived in the abandoned base, the first thing I noticed wasn't the range of leftover boat parts and guns, but rather a small grey car, one that I recognised as Emily's car. I nodded to Bryce, he too noticed the car and ran off in the direction of the main office building in the hope that a working phone had been left behind and not been disconnected.

I, on the other hand, walked off to the building that the car had parked in front of. There was only one door, and I could see that it had been lodged open. Busted lights hung overhead, thank goodness it was late afternoon, if it was night then I highly doubt I would be able to see anything.