Chapter Twenty Four

A murder, A murder, A murder.

This time it was Geraldine Miller. One of our regular cleaners. For once, I felt hope. She hadn't come to clean the building in a while. I hoped that perhaps her death could be linked with something else.

Her body was found next to the main garbage disposal out the back of the office.

Almost as soon as Sargent Kensington had fled the room, we followed. However, instead of trying to find where he had gone, I had just wanted to go home. I didn't want to do this anymore. It seemed that we were successful with one out of two of our goals today. But it wasn't enough, it wasn't going to help me figure this out. The sooner we get the evidence on Henry, the sooner the police can make a formal arrest.

But I was tired.

And I just wanted to go home.

Bryce hadn't argued. He didn't say a word during the drive back, simply turning up the quiet radio a few decimals. I'm not sure why I felt so empty after the Sargent had left the room. Maybe it was one comment too many, maybe I just needed a break... another break. No. That wasn't it. But Bryce was good. He didn't say anything. He let the silence between us simmer. He didn't question anything. I knew I was being dramatic. But still. He didn't push it. He didn't ask any questions when I asked him to park his car and come inside my house.

I just think that I was sick of being alone.

I missed Alice. I missed my dad. I even missed my mother's presence.

It didn't matter.  Not anymore anyway.

As soon as I stepped through the front door, I regretted inviting him in.

I had let the small mess become out of control. I hadn't had the time to start picking up my mess. So on most occasions, I just left it. I immediately regretted it. He scanned the place, taking in the furniture and the decorating. 

"It's nice!" He said earnestly, "It's quite homely."

I put on a cracked smile, "Thanks, my sister did most of it."

He nodded, "Do you want to go sit down somewhere? We can talk and then maybe get some more work done before the sun goes down."

I sighed, putting a hand to my head, trying to ease the overcoming senses of tiredness that had washed over me.  "Yeah, if you want to head to the sitting room, I'll go into the kitchen and make us a cup of tea?"

Bryce gave me a small smile, "Yes thanks, just milk with no sugar thanks."

I nodded, clutching the side of the table in an attempt to not fall. "Yeah ugh, just down there," I pointed down the hallway, "And just to the right. The door should be open so you should see it."

I walked into the kitchen and filled the kettle with hot water, lighting a match and letting the small stovetop light up in hot, blue flames. I placed the kettle on top and began the patient wait for the water to boil. I got out the two mugs, the milk and the sugar. lining them up in a row on the bench. I put a spoonful of sugar in one cup and left the other empty. As soon as the sharp whistling of the kettle began to ring in my ears, I quickly grabbed the hot water and slowly poured it into the mugs. 

I liked making tea.

It was calming, I was used to it. I was always making tea, whether for me or someone else. Usually, it was Alice who I would make an extra cup for. Today it seemed to be Bryce, but usually it was just me.

I grabbed the milk and poured it in Bryce's cup, but leaving mine free from it. I then grabbed the two mugs off the counter and walked towards the sitting room, desperately trying not to spill anything on the carpet. When I walked into the sitting room, Bryce was sitting on one of the lounges. However, he wasn't leaning against the back of the chair, simply sitting straight up.