College Visit

it had been a month.  Tatum finally felt like she had the kids on a schedule that she could handle.  Oakley was turning out to be a doting big brother.  He loved to make Lilh giggle, at least what he thought was a giggle anyway.  He was always the first one there now when she would begin crying to try to stop her tears.  Tatum loved those little moments with them.  It was hard.  It was really hard with the little amount of time that they got to see Dempsey, but they were making it work.

Tatum was getting the kids out of the car.  She strapped Lilah to her chest in her carrier and put Oakley in the stroller.  Today was the first trip they were making to campus to have lunch with the crew.  With the new baby, Tatum was still learning how to take on more at one time.  This would be the first time she would be taking them out on her own.  She asked the kids, "Are you ready to go see daddy, Auntie Soph, Uncle Scotty and Elyse?"

Oakley cheered, "Yay!  Daddy!"

Tatum laughed.  "He is going to be so happy to see you and your sister.  Let's go meet him for lunch.  He wants you to meet some of his friends.  Then I want you to meet some of my friends, too."

"Yay.  New pee-poles."

Tatum smiled.  "Yes.  New people."

Tatum got to the cafeteria to see Sophie, Scott, Dempsey and Elyse waiting for them.  Dempsey rushed over and said, "I'm so glad you are here.  It's the best way to break up my day, plus it gets my three favorite people out of the house for a while.  Lets get you all something to eat, then I want to show you off before my next class."

Sophie came over and said, "Give me my niece.  I can't wait for you to meet, James.  I really think you are going to like him.  I'm just sad it has taken this long for you to meet.  I need your thoughts on him."

Tatum laughed.  "I'm sure he is great if you like him this much."

Oakley screamed, "Auntie Soph!" 

Sophie smiled and said, "There is my boy.  Lets go see Uncle Scotty, Elyse and James.  They are all looking forward to seeing you."

Sophie took both of the kids over to the small group.  Dempsey took Tatum in his arms and said, "Hey baby.  I'm so glad you three came to visit today.  Thank you."

"We missed you.  Oakley asks for you everyday and it's hard.  I wish there was something else that we could do to make sure that we both got a good amount of time with them.  I need to get back to work soon.  I can't keep staying home.  It's not fair."

"I want you to stay home as long as you want to stay home.  I'm proud of you doing the school thing and taking care of Lilah and Oakley.  I just wish I was more help to you.  I just feel like I go to school, go to work and come home to sleep.  I'm missing out on so many of the little things.  I just don't want you to feel like you are doing this alone."

"I most definitely know that I am not alone.  We are both doing the best that we can I think.  Do we still have Saturday for the four of us?"

"Yes we do.  I'm really looking forward to it.  Lets go make sure that Scott isn't corrupting our boy.  But first let me give my beautiful wife another kiss.  I love you, Tate.  I don't tell you that near enough.  I know that things are not easy, but I'm so glad I have you to go through all of this with."

"I love you, too.  We've got this, babe."  Tatum gave him a long kiss.

The two of them went over to their friends who were doting to their kids.     Sophie came over and said, "Tate, I would like you to meet James.  James.  This is my sister, Tatum."

Tatum said, "It is nice to meet you.  Sophie talks about you all the time.  It was about time I got to meet you myself.  Sorry that it took so long."

James told her, "I'm glad to finally meet you, too.  Sophie and Dempsey talk about you, Oakley and Lilah all the time.  I couldn't wait to meet you.  Your kids are adorable."

"Thanks.  I'm glad to finally get all of us out of the apartment for a little while.  We were getting a little pent up after a while.  Oakley is too social for staying in the apartment all the time.  He is a little attention lover."

"He is so good with people."

"Thanks.  He is definitely becoming a little adult already.  I think we are going to have our hands full with him in the future."

Dempsey wrapped his arms around Tatum and said, "I can't wait for it all.  I can't wait to watch our kids grow together.  Life is so great just because of something that was so unexpected.  Thank you for loving me, Tate."

"I would love you over and over again.  I would go through this over and over again.  Thank you for my beautiful babies.  Now lets feed you college kids and our babies.  We can't have you be late to your classes.  How well would that look for a future doctor?  You have a reputation to uphold, mister."  Dempsey laughed and kissed her head.  He loved being able to show his girl off and spend time with their kids.  Dempsey quickly took Lilah in his arms to cuddle her while he had the chance.

Everyone went in to eat lunch.  Tatum loved to spend time with their friends and feel included.  Being a teen mom was hard enough, but making sure that she had social interactions of her own while taking care of them.  Seeing her siblings and friends so in love with her kids was just what she needed to know that everything was going to be okay, no matter how difficult things may seem.