Cravings and Back To School

It was the night before Dempsey and Tatum were to go back to school. Tatum couldn't sleep. She decided she was hungry. She got up and went to the kitchen.

Tatum couldn't find anything. She sat on the floor in front of the fridge crying.

Dempsey came out of his room when he heard her moving around. He was rubbing his eyes when he saw Tatum. He rushed over and got on h is knees. He said, "Oh Tate. What's wrong?"

She looked at him and told him, "I'm hungry. I can't find anything that sounds good. I want cookies. We don't have any cookies. I finished what we had before we went to bed. I thought I would get something else, but everything else I picked up made my stomach turn. I hate this part of pregnancy. I just want to be able to eat what I want again."

Dempsey pulled her into his arms, "Shh... It's okay. We have cookie dough. I'll bake you some cookies. Don't get upset. I'm here to help any way that I can. If I can bake you some cookies and make you happy, then that's what I'll do."

"It's two in the morning. You shouldn't be making be cookies. That shouldn't be your job. It's not fair that you are so nice."

"Stop it. I'm partially to blame for the whole unexpected baby thing. You and baby want cookies. I'm on it. Let me help you up. You really shouldn't be sitting on the floor. Sit at the counter and I'll make you cookies. If you are going to be carrying the baby, the least I can do is make cookies at two in the morning on occasion."

"Thank you. I appreciate it. I just hope that this doesn't happen all the time. I don't know how much more of these crazy cravings that I can handle."

Dempsey chuckled. "It's okay if it does happen more. It will give more time to spend together and get to know each other better. The baby is going to be here before we know it and I'd really like to get to know his or her mother better than I apparently do. I'm learning something new about you every day."

"Right now you are learning that I'm crazy obsessed with cookies and will have a mental breakdown if I can't find any."

"No. I'm learning that you are taking such good care of our baby before they even get here, that you are willing to get upset when you can't provide what they want so badly. Now, take a seat. I'm going to bake you cookies. Tell me something about you that I don't know."

Tatum sat down at the counter like Dempsey had encouraged her to. The two of them chatted while the cookies were baking. Dempsey made the cookies while Tatum sat with him. The two of them sat together and ate the cookies at three in the morning.

Dempsey and Tatum walked into school the next morning holding hands like Dempsey had promised.

Sophie and Scott found them. Sophie said, "Hey old couple. How's married life?"

Scott asked, "What's wrong with the two of you? You look like you have been ran over by a truck."

Dempsey said, "We were up making cookies at two in the morning. We are a little tired. At least I am."

"What? Why in the world were you up at two making cookies? Isn't that a little odd of a time to be up and baking?"

Tatum told them, "It was my fault. I had a mental breakdown. I was hungry and we didn't have any cookies and that's all that baby no name wanted. D was an awesome husband and made me some to help me through my breakdown."

Sophie said, "That's good! How are you feeling, Tate? You are looking better than the last time I saw you."

"I'm good. Today is the start of my second trimester."

"Still getting sick?"

"Not as much, but yes. I only got sick twice this morning compared to the normal four times."

"Do I need to kick Dempsey's butt? You know that I can do it."

Tatum chuckled and told her, "No. He is a real gentleman. He is doing a lot more than was in the job description."

"Glad to hear it. You may be married, but I'm still your big sister. I'll always be there to protect you if you need it."

Tatum hugged her sister. "Thank you. I'm so lucky to have you."

Dempsey hugged Tatum to his side and said, "Let me walk you to class. I know how you are about being punctual."

"What are you going to do when people realize that we are married? I mean all of a sudden you are walking me to class and hunting me down during class changes."

"I don't care what people think. I'm just going to be happy that you are happy and taken care of. You and the baby are what really matter. I will continue to hunt you down and check on you and baby no name, thank you very much."

"You really are the best for dealing with all of this."

"No. You are. You didn't have to get married, but you did so that I would be able to go to school with less stress. You really didn't have to do all of that."

"I'm just glad to have you on my side. The baby and I are so lucky to have you."

Scott said, "The two of you are so cheesy. I never would have thought I would see the day."

Tatum put her hands on her hips and said, "You try having all these hormones coursing through your body. You will say and do all kinds of things you never thought you would be doing. I can't help it, plus why would I want to. Dempsey is so good to me and baby already."

The four of them laughed and made their way to class. Tatum was very happy to have three people that were going to be there for her at school as the pregnancy went on. She knew she only had so much time left before people would start finding out that she was pregnant.

Thank you for taking the time to read this story. This is the first attempt at a Wattpad story that I have felt semi-confident in. Please leave comments and votes!