Meeting The Family

Tatum woke up and felt empty. Then she smiled when she looked over to see Dempsey holding their son. He smiled, "Hello beautiful. How are you feeling? Can I get you anything?"

"Just my boy. He has to be hungry. It's been a couple of hours since I last fed him."

"You woke up just in time. He was getting ready to throw a fit. I've been getting so many texts from your family. I don't think we can hold them off much longer."

At that moment, Sophie came running in. She said, "Let me at him! I ran so I could get my hands on him first."

Tatum chuckled, "Sorry, sis. You are going to have to wait. He is about to throw a fit if I don't feed him soon."

"Aww..."

"He'll still be here in ten minutes when he is finished. Then he is all yours. Can you hand me the cover up over there? I want to try to get him settled before dad and Scott come charging in."

Dempsey helped the best that he could. He did what the nurse had shown them the night before. Then he helped her to cover herself. He leaned down to kiss her.

The door cracked and Lily asked, "Can we come in?"

Tatum told her, "Sure. You're late to the party. Sophie beat you here."

"Sophie! I told you to wait!"

Sophie said, "Just because you wanted him first. I see that you left dad and Scott in your dust."

"Umm... Duh! He's my grandson."

Tatum laughed and said, "You have 18 years to fight for his affections. He's a fixture now."

"I just want to see him. We've been waiting too long."

"D, can you burp him for me?"

Dempsey was quick to take Oakley. He held him against his shoulder and burped him. He kissed his head, "That's my boy. Good luck, Oak. You already have the ladies fighting over you."

Tatum rolled her eyes. Dempsey passed him to Sophie.

"He's so perfect. I just want to stick him in my pocket and take him home with me."

"Maybe when I'm sleep deprived in a couple of weeks I'll let you. Right now he's all mine."

Dempsey said, "Oh no. He's my boy and don't you forget it."

"And don't you forget who just spent 8 and a half hours in labor with "your" boy."

"Touche."

Lily said, "It's my turn. Hand over the cute baby."

Dean and Scott made it in the door.  Dean asked, "What happened to the two of you waiting for us at the door?"

"Are you kidding me?  I wasn't going to miss seeing my grandson any longer than I had to."

Dean looked over Lily's shoulder and said, "Cute kid.  He looks like his poppy."  The room laughed.

Scott hugged Tatum and sat next to her, "How are you feeling, sis?"

Tatum told him, "I'm good.  I'm just glad that he is here and healthy.  I can start getting control of my body back.  I just want to go home."

"You'll be there soon."

"Are you excited for your date with Elyse?"

"What?  How did you know about that?"

"She told me yesterday before your cute nephew interrupted the party."

Scott blushed.  "Oh..."

Sophie said, "It's not fair!  Everyone is pairing off on me."

Dempsey told her, "Well, Oak is going to need someone to hang with him when I take his momma out on dates."

"Yes!  Go out on dates all the time!  I want to hang with the little man."

Tatum and Dempsey laughed.

Lily asked, "D, have you called your parents yet?"

He told her, "I text them an hour ago.  I haven't heard anything from them.  I'm really not that surprised."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay.  Really.  It's pretty much what I expected.  I'm just glad that Oak and I have you guys."

"Always, honey."

"Is it bad that I'm already dreading classes and having to spend more time away from Tate and Oak?"

Tatum grabbed his hand and said, "I was just thinking the same thing."

"I just want to spend as much time with the two of you as I can."

"You'll be tired of us in a month.  With the little sleep that we will have, you are going to be ready to be away from the crazy."

"It's all going to be so worth it.  I'm just glad he is here."

Dean had had his turn with the baby.  Scott was now holding the baby.  He said, "He's good looking like his uncle.  We are going to get in a lot of trouble, little dude."

Tatum said, "Don't listen to your crazy uncle.  You are going to be a good little boy."

The doctor walked in.  He said, "I've looked over all your numbers.  Everything looks great.  I think you'll be able to go home this afternoon."

Tatum smiled, "That is great news.  Thank you."

"I'll come back at noon with your paperwork."

Dempsey said, "Thank you for taking care of them."

"Of course.  It has been my pleasure."  The doctor left them.

Lily told them, "We'll leave you guys.  Text us when you get home.  I'll bring you dinner tomorrow night.  I'm really going to try to back off."

Tatum said, "I love you.  I'm sure we are going to need all the help we can get."

"You are going to do great.  Your dad and I have been talking.  We know that it's going be tough making ends meet, so we thought we could help.  We don't want to see the two of you work yourself into the ground to provide for this little guy and not get to spend any time with him."

"You are already helping so much."

"Well, I thought I might staying home three days a week.  Then your dad can work from home two days a week.  That way we can watch Oak and you won't have to worry about daycare."

Dempsey said, "We can't ask you to do that."

"You aren't asking.  We want to spend as much time with our grandson as we can.  I can't wait to spoil him.  I'm really just being selfish."

Tatum told her, "Thank you."

Sophie said, "Call me when I have the okay to come over.  I want to snuggle this boy whenever I can."

"I'll be happy to have you over all the time."

Dempsey said, "As long as when you come over you let Tate get in a nap, I'm good with it."

"Definitely!"  Scott finally handed Oakley over to Dempsey.  The family told them goodbye and left them.

Dempsey and Tatum were so glad to have some time for the three of them before going home.

Things have been a little crazy here lately.  I haven't given up on this story.  It's still a work in progress.  Thank you for reading.  I hope you are enjoying it.