Conversations

Tatum and Dempsey were sitting in Dempsey's car. She asked, "Why did you come?"

"Tate, I'm so sorry. I was in shock. I wasn't thinking. I had so many things that I wanted to say, but I didn't have time. I can't have a kid out there and not be part of their life. Scott told me that you were thinking about adoption. I just want to be there for you. I don't know how I ever thought that I could go without being part of our baby's life. I'll stay. I'll get a job."

"No. D! You are going to college. I didn't tell you so you would stay home. I just couldn't keep it from you. I never would have forgiven myself if I did. You are going to UK. This is baby is going to be so proud of you."

"Thank you. I'm going to help all that I can. I'm going to start by telling your brother. Sitting in there and hearing the heartbeat and seeing the baby was awesome. I am going to be there for you."

"Whoa. Do you have a death wish? He's out for blood. Scott will kill you."

"I need to be a man if I am going to be a dad. I'll start with him. I want you to call or text me if you need anything."

"Thank you. I appreciate that. I don't want to be one of those crazy pregnant ladies. I know I have a lot of things that are going to be changing in the coming months. I just don't want to take you down with me."

"It's going to be okay. Use me for craving runs or mood swings. Just let me help you in any way that I can. I am just so sorry that I hurt you like I did. I hate that this happened, but this baby is going to be so special."

"You know there are going to be all kinds of rumors. Then in 18 years we get to tell our baby we were drunk when I got pregnant. This is such a mess. I never wanted to be this person. I'm going to be a terrible mom. The baby is going to think I never wanted them. Maybe we should give them up for adoption."

"It's okay. It's going to be okay. We are going to figure this out. I'm not going anywhere. We've got this."

They pulled into the driveway. Scott was getting out of his car. Tatum grabbed her bag. Dempsey got out of his car as well. She was nervous about what was about to happen.

Scott said, "Hey sis! Where is Soph? Didn't you have a doctor's appointment today? I thought she was going with you. What are you doing with D?"

Then it hit him. He came barreling at Dempsey. He punched him in the face. He said, "It was you! How could you take advantage of my little sister? You got her pregnant!"

Tatum yelled, "Stop it! Get off of him!"

Scott stood up. The last thing he wanted to do was stress her out even more than she already was. Dempsey held his jaw. Dempsey told him, "I'm sorry. Okay? I'm sorry. It didn't happen on purpose. It just happened. We are having a baby. I know I messed up, but I'm looking forward to meeting our baby."

"Scotty, I love that you protect me and love me. You are going to be the best uncle. I need you. I need you on my side. I know I messed up. That we messed up. Please don't let this ruin your friendship. The two of you have been friends your whole life."

Scott told them, "I'm ticked, but that won't stop me from being here. I don't agree with how this happened, but this baby is going to be great. Tate, I need to talk to D."

"You aren't going to hit him again, are you? I'm not leaving the two of you alone if I can't trust you to keep your hands to yourself. Baby no name needs his dad."

"No. I have it out of my system. I promise my hands will remain to my sides. I won't hurt your baby daddy."

"Fine. I'm going to go in and get some ice for Dempsey's jaw."

Tatum hugged Dempsey and went inside to get him some ice for his jaw.

Scott told Dempsey, "You are supposed to be my best friend. You took advantage of my sister."

"I did not take advantage of her. I think I have always liked her, but I tried to play it off that I liked her like a sister because she was your sister. I know it sucks that this happened, but I care about Tatum."

"She has had a crush on you forever. She would always want to be around me because you would come and hang out."

"What? That didn't happen."

"Don't play stupid. She has always had a crush on you. She went to her first party and ended up pregnant with your baby. You gave her attention when she felt like she needed it. That's taking advantage of someone."

Dempsey couldn't believe he hadn't noticed it himself. Now he was going to be a father. Tatum had always been like a little sister, at least that is what he tried to make himself believe. Apparently a girl that saw him as more than a big brother, too.

Dempsey told him, "Tell Tate I'll talk to her later. I need to get home. I have some homework to do and stuff to think about."

"You are freaking out, aren't you?"

"I'm good. I'll see you tomorrow. I have some things I need to figure out. I'm fine. It's all going to be okay. I just have some stuff to do at home. I have to figure out how I am going to tell my parents that they are going to be grandparents. I'm sure it's going to be fun times for all."

Dempsey left to gather his thoughts. There were so many changes coming his way. He was feeling so many things he had never felt before. He had never been so overwhelmed before in his life.