Sidney

Once I was deep into the forest I slowed my pace even more as I switched into full on tracking mode, in order to make a kill one had to first locate the prey. Tyson and Ollie knew what was going on since I had taken them on a quite a few hunts like this but Spartan seemed confused. It was clear he knew this run was different than the others he'd been on but he didn't know how this worked or how we hunted together, he really was a giant pup following at our heels. I found a steam and searched the banks before picking up a good trail on a large white tail deer. I gave a small tip to call the dogs over so they could get a good whiff of what we'd be hunting even Spartan seemed to be getting in on it as he eagerly inspected the tracks. 

Once they had all gotten the scent I took the lead on following the trail, as we got closer and the scent grew stronger Tyson and Ollie branched off to the left and right to try boxing in our prey. Spartan stayed close by me as we crept closer to the clearing and I caught a look at the large buck grazing, a decent meal for everyone. I was mapping out he best way to sneak in close when Spartan darted forward out of excitement in pursuit of the buck. I snarled my annoyance as the buck spooked and took off, he had a large enough head start that I knew it was no use, this hunt was aborted the moment Spartan lost his nerve. Tyson and Ollie knew it too as they circled back around to my sides, when Spartan finally gave up his chase and returned to us his punishment was immediately given. 

I pinned him with a snarl as I reprimanded his behavior and Tyson joined in by nipping at his ears with a growl. I wasn't too rough on him considering I knew he likely had never hunted anything before and still had much to learn about the actual hunt, although he was quite fast. Once he realized we weren't playing a game and this was an actual hunt he might wise up a bit, and after submitting his apology to the three of us we moved on in search of another trail. This time when I picked up the scent it took me a bit to recognize it's origin but once I realized the slightly unfamiliar track came from what appeared to be an elk I deemed it a worthy hunt. 

Once again I called the dogs over to pick up the scent as well before leading the way this time when Tyson and Ollie branched off I gave a soft warning growl at Spartan to behave. There were five elk in the clearing, a large bull and three cows, two of which had half grown calves. I could sense Spartan wanting to give chase but I bared my teeth at him to wait and he reluctantly settled. I set my sights on the female without a calf to care for and slowly started to prowl my way closer, knowing Tyson and Ollie would follow my lead. The only one I couldn't be sure on was Spartan, this would be a test for him as he snuck alongside me. I stopped just behind the edge of the trees, any further and our cover would be blown again, ending the second hunt this afternoon. 

Spartan was slightly fidgety but stayed silently at my side as we watched the small herd of elk grazing, I knew the other two were waiting for me to make my move as well. I waited until the lone female stepped away from the herd ever so slightly, making her way bit by bit in our direction. The moment she was in range I broke cover and charged at her, taking a wide right to keep her separated from the rest of her herd as they took off running away. Spartan seeing that the chase was finally on was quick on her heels as I kept pace with our prey and funneled her towards the trap ahead. Tyson and Ollie broke cover in front of us making the cow elk stumble in her tracks giving us enough time to get a good hold on her. 

She was large enough that I let the dogs help bring her weight to the ground as I dealt a quick death bite to her throat. The dogs were panting but I wasn't even winded and Spartan seemed okay after his first hunt with us, I even gave his ear a quick lick in praise for his improvement. The meat would be a good meal for everyone tonight but there was more than enough and I was hungry now, so without a second thought I tore open the carcass to share. I found myself craving the fresh liver and heart as the dogs devoured the other internal organs. I kept them from gnawing on the choice cuts but let each of them have a fill of the fresh meat, before shifting to tie the feet together with some vine to make for easier travel back to the Alvarado pack house.

 When it was good enough to haul the meat I shifted back and slipped the makeshift vine harness over my neck to begin the trek back. It was slower going pulling the extra weight and I ended up getting Tyson to help so it would go a bit faster but we made it back before dinner prep. "Well look at that, good hunting she wolf, looks like we're having fresh elk tonight." Alvarado's praise rolled over me and I shook it off, I was still suffering unwanted annoyances from my wolf. "Oh and before we forget there's a strong cold front blowing in tonight, the news is calling for snow." Kairo called out to everyone. I couldn't help my ears perked up slightly at the thought, my wolf and I both loved the snow. 

"At this time of year!?" Tucker exclaimed. "Well we are high up and secluded enough here that it is not totally uncommon for snow this late or early in the season, depending on how you look at it." Alvarado responded. I took my leave as they hauled the meat inside to prepare it, the boys were still complaining about possible snow when I left to collect my clothes and shift back. I still wasn't feeling the greatest and there was still a strange uneasy inside me as I returned to help Madison with food prep, but the prospect of snow was certainly exciting.

                                              Madison

Sidney was quieter than usual but she wasn't as curt with every one as she'd been this morning, her gang of males sure seemed happy about the change. I had to admit it was actually nice having her around unlike any other females I'd met. They had always been after my men or hating on my pups, none of which I would tolerate, but Sid was a different breed altogether. The way she respected my bond with my guys and showed a certain respect for them, with absolutely no romantic interest was extremely refreshing. Then the way she was so protective and caring of my pups, pups that weren't even her own, it gave all of us respect for her.

 There was still a certain unease with the Shaw pack males but with her it was as if she could belong with us, like the little sister we'd never had. Even Nate and Denny had caved to her after how she'd helped with the kids, and I liked the fact that she didn't seem set on fighting me again anytime soon. I could still see there was a tension and unease in her eyes, although it disappeared whenever she was holding one of the pups. The thought that something was really bothering her made me want to help but I had my suspicions that this might not be something I could help with just yet. 

The way that she restlessly kept looking to the forest, the mood she seemed to switch in and out off, the chill in the air, all familiar signs that I knew well enough. I would keep my mouth shut for now in case it was nothing because the moment Nate found out they would treat her like the plague until she was back to normal. They would keep me and the pups far away from her which would annoy me considering I wanted to see how this played out. If my suspicions were correct those poor boys were going to need every fighting skill they could learn, and fast.

*So I'm getting back into the fun of writing this, more craziness to come, hope you all enjoyed!*