The Mummer's Trial- Part One

LEVI

The redhead beside me bounced on the spot as she fussed endlessly with her crown braided hair, the tension rolling off her body in waves. She had arrived not long after I had in the courtroom with her brother sullenly in tow, looking much more presentable in her military dress than when I had last seen her, not that I cared much, she always looked beautiful to me.

Our conversation this morning had stirred something inside of me, something more than the desire I always felt whenever I thought of her. Her understanding and honesty had invoked a deep affection for her despite my fears of those very feelings because, after all, she was right, hope is stronger than hatred and fear. I remember looking at her as she lay watching the stars not quite believing that in the middle of all this chaos, there she was, looking at me like I was more than a killer, so, when she had left to get ready for the trial it had taken everything I had not to follow her and kiss her into oblivion. However, I had sensed her apprehension at the intimacy, and I had no one to blame but myself. 

Seeing her in Trost on that rooftop, I had feared the worst. Blood splattered and beaten; Aurora had been sprawled across the tiles with her stray cadets hovering nearby in concern and reaching her, I had held my breath feeling for her pulse when her eye cracked open to peer at me curiously breaking my fear. The relief had been so painful that my heart had clenched in my chest and I had known then I would have to tell her the truth, after all, I had long ago abandoned the idea of not having her in my life, but it wasn't until that moment when I thought to hell with it, we could die at any moment, and I'll be damned if I didn't live fully, with her and damn the consequences.

Gently reaching out and tugging on her hand, I placed it down by her side and gave my best reassuring look, though judging by her arched eyebrow and slightly humoured expression it must have been terrible. I would need to work on this, sex was one thing, but intimacy was not in my area of expertise. 

Scoffing at my expression, Aurora turned back to face the court with a much more confident stance when I felt eyes boring hostilely into my skull. Turning I saw Rian, who was standing behind the two other brats from their family, watching Aurora and me with angry eyes and unable to stop myself, I let the cold smirk pull at my lips as the courtroom doors burst open. 

Whispers echoed around the court as Eren was ushered in at gunpoint to the prisoner's column in the centre of the lobby and Aurora's arm gently reached out as the brat caught her eye before falling back to her side again, she would need to remain as neutral as possible during this trial.    

"On your knees now" the soldier snarled as he pointed his loaded rifle at the brat Aurora cared so much about and Aurora's body stiffened at the derogatory tone. Reaching out on instinct, I caught her elbow as she took a predatory step forward and whipping her head around she glared at me with her piercing eyes as I tightened my grip on her arm.

Not here.

Understanding my warning, Aurora returned to my side though slightly closer than she had been before, a look of uncertainty clouding her eyes, but her face remained like a stone. Brushing my knuckles gently against her hand, I watched Premier Zackly take his seat as he appraised Eren, ready to begin the trial.

"Alright, shall we begin?" Zackly asked, and when he was greeted with silence, he continued "Your name is Eren Yaeger, and as a soldier, you've sworn to give up your life when called to for the good of the people. Is that correct?"

"Yes," Eren answered unsure, which was no wonder, he had no idea what was going on, which was why Erwin had denied Aurora access to him, the less he knew, the better it was for us to plan. 

"As an enlisted soldier during a time of war, military doctrine demands your tribunal be held as a court-martial. As commander of our armed forces this matter is left to my digression. Thus, I will decide whether you live or you die. Any objections?" Zackly leaned forward in his chair to await Eren's answer.