Humanities Darkest Hour

EREN

Sunlight broke through the greying cloud bank lighting the fallen lands of Maria, it all seemed so peaceful from this height but somewhere out there in Titan territory, Aurora and Rian were fighting for our freedom. Wiping my hand across my face, I moved onto the next cannon for maintenance, all the while picturing the redheaded twins.

I wasn't afraid for them, not any more. Aurora and Rian had survived two years with the Scout Regiment, they would survive again today, and when they returned, we would all be together again. Everything that I had hoped for would soon come to pass. Mikasa, Armin, Aurora, Rian and I would stand side by side and face those monsters head-on and fight for our future.

Rian and Aurora had ridden through the streets of lower Trost this morning with the wings of freedom blazing on their backs, ready to go and take the fight to our enemy. I had never been prouder of them than I had been in that moment, seeing them ride beside legends like Captain Levi had made my heart swell, even more so when Rian had saluted for Armin, Mikasa and I and Aurora had touched her heart and sent her love towards us.

Yeah, I was damn proud. I may not have the blood they shared with Armin, but they were as much my family as his. Raised by my side, they were my brother and sister, Mikasa's too. I couldn't wait to join them, especially after graduating last night and following in their footsteps, earning my place in the top ten. I can just imagine their faces when I tell them, Aurora all smiles and Rian quietly proud. 

God, I missed them.

Connie broke through my thoughts with his ramblings that I had not been paying attention and he looked at me expectantly as if awaiting my answer. Was he talking to me?

"huh?"

"I said, do you think I can go home before joining the scouts?" he said the words slowly as if I was stupid which given the expression on my face, I probably looked it. 

Did he just say the scouts?

"What do you mean you're joining the scouts?" I asked incredulously "What happened to the MPs that was your whole thing!"

"Don't worry about it a guys allowed to change his mind, okay?" he huffed as he shoved his cloth inside the cannon. I mean sure,  he's allowed to change his mind about totally normal stuff like what colour shirt to wear or what to have for lunch, not about joining the damn scouts! Does he understand what's at stake if he does this? I know because I've seen them, Connie hadn't, he didn't have a clue what he was letting himself in for. 

"I think your speech yesterday lit a fire under him" Mina teased, coming up behind us, a wide smile on her face. 

She couldn't mean last night's spat.

Jean was getting on my nerves with his self-righteous attitude and disrespect towards the scouts, and I couldn't stop my temper from rising not, when Aurora and Rian were who horse face was disrespecting. I had known people were listening in when the whole room went silent, but I didn't think they were actually paying attention. Had that really change Connie's mind?

"Aint nobody talking to you! His temper tantrum had nothing to do with it!" Connie stormed and though his words furiously denied it, Connie's rapidly reddening face gave way to the truth.

Woah...

"Take it easy. It's not like you're the only one" Thomas smiled sheepishly as he walked over to us with Samuel at his sides.

This can't be happening...

"What? You serious?" I stammered. This wasn't right. I couldn't have changed all their minds, I mean I'm glad they want to join the scouts, humanity needs all the soldier it can get, I just don't like that it was me that made them change their minds. It makes me responsible for them, and I don't know if I have room to worry about more people than I already do.