Chapter Nine

"What a truly fantastic friend you are

"What a truly fantastic friend you are."

"I'm sorry! Fine. I'll do something memorable. It'll be poetic, cinematic and completely us."

As Clarke wandered off inside with Bellamy I remain behind

As Clarke wandered off inside with Bellamy I remain behind. As I'd been taking a look around I'd heard something about a machine shop. My interest was piqued but it hadn't been the primary reason I'd been wandering around. That primary reason stood at the bank of the lake Bellamy almost drowned Murphy in. Watching Echo gaze over the water as people milled around her I feel my pace directing me her way. Make amends with those you hurt. Those were Russell's words. One of the purposes of their Naming Day. This has been a long time coming and regardless of who did what first I need to make it right. Despite what Bellamy and I have they'd been together for three unbothered years. Then they came to the ground and spanner after spanner got launched at them- some admittedly my fault.

Quietly I find a spot beside Echo. She doesn't turn or peek over at me but she knows I'm here as she watches the calm water lap at her boots. After a long moment of silence I find it in me to say "I'm sorry Echo." Peering up to her as her hard stare remains forwards, I admit "He was with you. I should've respected that and just let him go."

After a long silent moment Echo asks me quietly "Could you though?" Tilting her head to look at me, Echo wonders surprisingly soft "Do you think you could've ever really let him go?" Unspoken we both knew the answer. I never would've. Echo's lips tug up into a sad smile "He'd told me before we left the ring that nothing would change when we went to the ground. Then he punched his way into that bunker and found you." As I roll my bottom lip between my teeth, an anxious habit, Echo chuckles lowly under her breath "Imagine my surprise when he told me he kissed you right before you both got shoved into the fighting pit."

"He probably thought he was going to die", I murmur to Echo casually shrugging, "I thought I was for sure."

After another moment of silence, Echo quietly admits "That's what makes me so gone damn mad at you." Sparing me another glance, Echo points out evenly "You knew he was with me and still you were prepared to sacrifice your life for him." Glancing back out over the lake, Echo tells me "I want to be furious with you- as angry with you as Raven is with Clarke- but I can't because of your such a god damn good person."