Chapter 4: Shiraz

Start from the beginning

Shiraz took another step back and glanced at her cellmate, trying to catch her attention so they could coordinate an attack. But Milenna was standing motionless with her hands clenched into fists. Her eyes were locked on the guards, and her lips were slightly moving. Was she preparing a spell?

"Move aside, Bob. Before you drool on yourself," said another voice, this one steady and cold. Shiraz looked back at the guards and saw the other man - Jarod, presumably - pushing aside the fat guard and taking his place by the bars. Her hopes immediately sank. This one was not a drunken fool as his companion seemed to be. He was of average height, thin and muscular, with a clean-shaven face and smooth long hair that many women would envy. His dark eyes scanned the cell and as he saw Milenna his hands suddenly grabbed the bars and his upper lip curled in anger. "Try to utter one word of magic from that pretty mouth and I will give your tongue as a present to our lord."

Milenna froze with her mouth slightly open, and Shiraz realized that the other woman was indeed trying to cast a spell. Her appreciation for the sorceress grew - while before she thought of her as an annoying no-good brat who paid for a pre-made character, now it looked like she wasn't completely unresourceful. And she was also amazingly beautiful, Shiraz had to admit (somewhat bitterly) - her black and blue noblewoman outfit was tight against her lithe body, her full red lips could not be ignored and her raven hair curled down her snow-white flawless neck. Judging by the way both of the guards fixed their eyes upon her, one could think Shiraz wasn't even in the room!

"I am sorry, Sir," said Milenna. The snappy tone with which she spoke earlier to Shiraz was gone, and instead she spoke like a perfect noblewoman. A young, very attractive, and somewhat scared noblewoman. "I wasn't trying to do anything, really. I was just praying..."

Shiraz hid a smile. One for you, Milenna. Praying!

Jarod didn't seem to be convinced, however. "Praying, are you?" He pushed himself closer to the bars, and Shiraz could see he had a scar shaped like a half-moon next to his left eye. "And what deity would receive the prayer of a blasphemous treacherous bitch such as yourself?" He spat on the floor. "You were better off trying to cast a spell!"

Milenna had no answer for that. She licked lips that suddenly went dry, and Shiraz knew they were in trouble. Raxlon did mention in the introduction for this quest that part of the reason they were in jail was because of some "serious blasphemous acts"... shit.

Maybe it was time to try a different approach. Shiraz took a step forward, hoping to capture the attention of the angry guard. "Hey look, Mister," she said. "I am sure this is all a big misunderstanding. We will explain everything to the lord..." She then took a step closer into the lamp's pool of light and stood a bit straighter, taking deep, slow breaths. "Or maybe... we could explain it to you." Her tone was just a notch deeper, her head just a bit tilted to the side.

Her shameless tactics seemed to have the desired effect. Both of the guards turned their attention from Milenna and locked their gazes on Shiraz. Thank God for stupid men, she thought and brushed aside the notification about her improved seduction skill. Now she only had to wait for the NPCs to do something foolish...

It was Bob who pushed Jarod aside this time. The fat guard was fumbling for the keys, and spittle glistened on his chin as Jarod's prophecy about self drooling was fulfilled. Shiraz smiled when Bob turned the lock and pushed the cell's door open, but once again Jarod proved to be the party pooper. The muscular guard managed to tear his eyes away from the captivating woman and he growled when he saw what his companion was doing. He grabbed the other man's armor and hauled him back, ignoring the protests. "Get a grip, Bob, or the lord will hear of it. And you," he snapped, looking back at Shiraz who took the opportunity to edge forward. Shiraz froze, trying to look nonchalant but not sure she was successful.