Keith Makes His Move

Keith knew he was speeding but he couldn't wait to see Pidge. Alone...okay not initially alone but without the rest of the group...or most importantly the MFE fighters. This would be quality time. Or just time. I mean Matt is there. And hopefully based on what her dad shared, supported Holt time. Maybe he could stay for dinner, then get some alone time.

Keith arrives at the Holt residence and is inexplicably nervous. Right now he isn't the universe's hero or the Blade's top commander, nope right now he is a nervous man who knows he fucked up. Maybe he should have changed, or showered, or got flowers. Shit, why does he keep doing this! You should bring a gift when you come somewhere or are trying to gain forgiveness. So he turned to leave but then there's Matt opening the front screen door, walking through letting the screen door slam. "What...do...YOU want?"

Internally Keith immediately thinks Katie, but in reality, he stands up straight and calmly states, "Hey Matt, my mom called asking me to come get her. I think she said she ran out of gas. Can you get her?"

"So you're just here to get your mom? Don't plan on seeing Katie? That's the story you are going with?" Matt quips back.

"Ummmm, well, I, *DEEP BREATH*, sure. Unless, ya know, Pidge is around and um, wants to talk."

Mrs. Holt fortuitously pokes her head out the door, taking everything in with a glance "Matt! Is this how we treat our friends? Keith, finally, come on in, supper is ready."

Keith smiles and nods, never so happy to be invited for dinner somewhere. He starts for the door when Matt steps in front of him, holds the screen door shut and says, in a low and serious voice, "She's scared. Right now...so you need to make this right. Make her feel good, that you're the right choice. I love her and I think you do too, so fix this. NOW. I can't see her torn up like this anymore. You or James, one of you needs to help her. Honestly I don't even care who it is anymore as long as she's not crying anymore. Clear?"

Keith nods, understanding where Matt's coming from. He wants her to feel settled and happy too so he understands how vital this is. He hopes his mom has laid the groundwork for this mission. Because he doesn't plan on losing.

He walks in, and sits at the empty seat, feeling a little guilty that Pidge looks so confused at his appearance. But right now, he needs every advantage or edge he can get. So if he's unexpectedly at dinner, it's all good. He loves her and he's done running. But more importantly, he feels like he is the right guy for her. He knows her, her likes, her dislikes, her weird habits and even the things that she does that are annoying. In truth, he probably knows her better than he knows any other person in the world.

Dinner actually goes pretty smoothly. But he does notice that Pidge's eyes are red and he knows she hates to cry. He makes a real effort to add the conversation, which oddly wasn't that hard. The flows just flows and he relaxes as Pidge does, slowly, cautiously with the banter around the table. He loves seeing her relaxed and laughing. Even when she snorts and Matt starts to tease her mercilessly, or when she kicks him for taking the biscuit. Honestly if he can make her look this happy every day, it would be a life well spent. He's never been one to really want a girlfriend. Honestly, he never gave a thought to romance. A wife. Family. And God knows he never imagined a life on Earth after the war. But right now, he can't picture anything else. And if she wants a life somewhere else, he'd make that work as well.

Dessert was brought out which apparently is Matt's favorite. He was definitely keeping the attention on himself so when he got a swift kick on the leg from Matt he realized there was a reason.

He leaned over to Pidge, "Hey, wanna take Bae Bae for a walk or are you tired?"

She looked in his eyes, and slowly replied, "Sure."

Keith stood quickly, "We are going to go for a quick walk, but we can do the dishes when we get back."

Sam looks Keith in the eyes, and nods slowly. Keith pulls out Pidge's chair and holds her hand. While outside, he asks, "When do you get the cast off?"

She looks down, blinking, "I think this week. Plus, I should be good without the boot. I didn't actually break my arm but they were afraid that I wouldn't take it easy so they kinda did all this." 

They ended up at bench that was on the edge of the walkway to the back garage and the Holt lab and sat down. Keith was throwing a stick for Bae Bae, when he finally speaks up. "So, when you left, and you saw me talking to Acxa, (deep breath) it was because I told her that I wasn't interested. In dating. Her. At all. Ever...even if we don't, you don't want me..."

Keith can feel her stiffen. So he waits. He's not sure where her mind has jumped to so he will be patient and see what's going on.

Finally she replies, "You guys would be a good match. You know it!! She's phenomenal, resourceful and strong. She saw Lotor for what he was...she's...I know that I don't compare."

Keith sighs, "You're right."

Pidge tenses, and starts to move when Keith looks at her, grabbing her hand and holding on, "There is no comparison. Not to me. You may see a suitable match but I'm not looking for suitable. I'm looking for right. I love you. You make me crazy. And I'm so fucking scared. But I can't imagine, a life, where we aren't together. And I hate myself for fucking this up when it was right in front of me. But I've realized, that's not a bad thing. Because no hesitation, you are my...kryptonite and my spider bite. My yang to my yang. My greatest weakness and yet my greatest strength. And just so we are clear, the only person I need is...you. And I'm...just ...  sorry it took me this long to figure it out."

Pidge is staring at me with her mouth hanging open. I deliberate, deciding to take a risk, and state, "You know, when my mom and I were out in space, I saw versions of reality that didn't happen yet. Or maybe alternate realities now that I reflect about it."

Pidge interjects grabbing my arm, "What>!>? Why didn't you tell me? Oh my god!!! Do you think it was due to oxygen deprivation? The food you were eating, or wait! "

Keith smirks, "Yeah, yeah, well I knew you'd want details, right?"

Pidge nods vigorously.

Keith's face is turning redder by the minute. He honestly is floundering with getting his words in some kind of order versus-just stammering. He didn't think this through all the way. Now he needs to tell her about what he saw. Delicately.

"Pidge, I saw a lot. My dad, my mom, battles that never happened. Shit I saw a life where my parents were together. It got really hard to know what was real and wasn't. Part of me wondered, what this dreams, or visions of what I wished? But, I also saw the team. After the war. I was back with Voltron even though at the time I was with the Blades. *deep breath* But I also saw us, in so many different ways. With a family doing things I've never done before. Ummmm, sexual stuff. And just so much closeness. And apparently, it wasn't just my dreams. Cuz, um my mom saw...these visions. Which let's just say took things to a very different level.                                                                                                                                                                            Anyways, I always took a kind of comfort knowing that that version or versions of reality were out there. Just waiting for us."

Pidge is looking at him like he holds all the answers. And while he wishes he does, he knows doesn't. Then she says, barely audibly, "Were we happy?"

Keith can't stop the smile, "Oh yeah. I just need you to know that... that's what I held onto. Us. That idea. Because, I need you. I've been without you and yeah, I survived. But I wasn't happy. I wasn't, couldn't, cuz you weren't there. "

Keith can feel his heart racing and he can't help but wonder what is she thinking?

What does she want??