Part 3 the talk

Both are in Pidge's room. The walk to the apartment was slow and fraught with tension. Pidge kept telling herself, stay calm, stay focused, and just stick to the facts. No emotional outbursts. Pidge honestly didn't know if this was possible but she had to try, just for her sanity.

Conversely, Keith couldn't even calm his thoughts enough to figure out what he feels. He's overstimulated and he knows that he tends to act without thinking and he doesn't know if doing this with no sleep is such a great idea. But damned if he is going to allow Pidge to go off with Griffin. As they walked to Katie's place, he couldn't keep his eyes off her. His eyes are just tracking her and he can't even think. He just wants to hold her. It's literally killing him to see her slowly limping. She wouldn't let him carry her but he made her give up her bag.

Both are sitting on opposite ends of the couch. Keith can't help but think about the last time they were on the couch, wrapped in each other. He felt his heart shudder. He looked at her and he couldn't stop the words.

"I love you"

She looks up—stunned. They NEVER said the words before. Either of them. Sure she felt it but she didn't want to scare him. And she always assumed that he wasn't able to say them. Tears welled in her eyes. She looked at him, and her heart just hurt. She LOVED Keith. James was nice and maybe given time, something could have grown but...Keith. Her sword to her shield...fellow cryptid lover...damn IT.

Keith knows he should have waited. Let her talk but honestly he was scared. Scared she wouldn't listen, scared he missed his chance. And while on the Blade mission he realized, he wanted this. More than he ever knew. In hindsight, he took this mission because he needed some space. Katie and his relationship moved so fast. They were always teammates and friends. When they got together it was almost too easy. They knew each other's likes, dislikes and could even seemingly read each other's mind. But he was uneasy. Relationships didn't come easy to him and he felt like Katie would realize that she didn't need him, but rather someone fun like Lance or sweet and smart like Hunk. So he ran. And while on his mission, he came realize that their relationship was just right for both of them. His mom reassured him that in any battle fear can either propel you to greatness or hold you for death. Shit his mom was totally team Pidge. So when they finally saw each other and unknowingly or not, he was the reason for this mess, he impulsively told her what was in his heart. Shit.

He looked at her and saw her eyes fill with tears and there! He saw it...love. It was still there maybe hidden and hurt but it was still there. As long as she still loved him, he had hope. He could fix this!!He leaned forward and his forehead touched hers gently, he took hold of her uninjured hand, and rubbed soothing circles on it. "Pidge, you know me. I'm a lot of things, reckless, impulsive, brash. But I don't lie. Ever. Please tell me what happened and" gulp "let me tell you what happened on my end, please."

Katie honestly felt helpless. She just couldn't say no...what the hell happened??? She swallowed, "Short version...you left. I sent messages that should have gotten to you. I never heard from you but no one did. We assumed it was a communication black out. I was ok with that. But then you should have been home and you weren't. Then I was worried and still no messages. I tried tracking you but that felt wrong when I could somewhat still feel you through the lions consciousness but nothing solid. Then Shiro heard from you. You were safe, things were dicey but ok. Still no message and I'm not going to lie, it hurt. Around that time, I was helping the pilots with there MFE's and upgrading tech. I think Lance told Veronica that I was sad, which she must have shared with the team. Suddenly I'm invited to dinners and game nights. Everyone, including James...was nice. Then we get a picture from the Blade of Marmora and in it..." she looks down and whispering she continues "it looked like a victory picture, in the background, you and Acxa were, hugging?kissing?embracing?"

Keith feels a tear hit his hand. "NO!! Never!!" He brings his hand up to her cheek, pulling her gaze to his. "Katie, again, I fucked up by even going on this mission but know this, you are who I love, who I want to be with. At no time, did I ever kiss Acxa!!"

Katie left out a slow breath, "ok, but I didn't know that at the time, and everyone saw that picture, shit, it was in one of our team meetings! You have no idea, how much that hurt! Everyone looked at me and I had to sit through a meeting, acting like my heart wasn't breaking. After, I ran out and got in my car for a drive. (Keith takes a sharp breath in) No Keith, you didn't cause this accident, I'm not an idiot! Unfortunately, a drunk driver hit me and I lost control of the car. I went over some kind of bank and lost consciousness."

At this point, Keith carefully pulls her into his arms. "I'm so sorry, so sorry." He's holding her and pulls her onto his lap, just holding her and letting her cry. Eventually Pidge looks up, and sees that Keith is crying as well. She looks shocked. Keith never cries!

Brokenly, Keith replies, "Katie, I sent you messages. I swear, you can look at my communication devices, I sent messages. I don't know why they didn't go out but" he nudges her face up so they gaze into each other's eyes, "I did send you messages. I swear, and if I knew at any point that you were hurt, I would have been here. I would have gotten back somehow. I did get messages from Shiro but they seemed weird. Like I was missing the conversation or something. But know this, you were always on my mind."

Pidge lets out a shaky breath. "What happens now?"

Keith replies, with a soft kiss on the corner of her mouth, "I know what I want to happen. And it involves a lot of you and me time."

Pidge replies, "I broke up with you. After the accident, and no word from you." She looks down, and softly says, "James has been there for me. He found me when I didn't come in to work the next day. He got me out of the car, called the police, he has been there for me so much...and he appears interested in a personal relationship," Keith interrupts with a low growl, "No." She looks at him and snaps, "You cannot say no." He replies, " I never got your message that we broke up. As far as I'm concerned you ARE MINE...just like I...am...YOURS. Please, I don't think I've ever begged for anything after the age of 10...Pidge, I'm begging you. Talk to my mom, look at my communicator, do your thing with research, find the answers! I am not hiding anything from you. But, I'm telling you now, I'm not giving up on us!"